Oil filter compatabiliy question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 2007 Nissan Frontier 4cyl I just traded in for a 2009 Frontier V6. I have left 4 left over oil filters. 2 Wix and 2 PureOne's.

My wifes car is a 2005 Honda Element. The new truck and her car call for the same filter
grin2.gif
which is nice.

Id like to use these 4 old filters (most likely in her car) The old truck filters are the same threads, gasket size etc etc. the only difference is that the filter on my old truck are 1 inch shorter than the ones the vehicles call for. I do not think there will be an issue interchanging them (just to use them up)But I wanted to ask peoples opinion. Id prefer to use them on her car since the engine sizes are the same in liters and produce the same HP and torque as my old truck.

Last edited:
I would use left over filters in the Honda Element, I would not use shorter filter than the OEM, I like to use longer/larger filters to have more filtering media.

Id hate to throw out 4x $6.00+ fliters just because they are 1/2 inch shorter than the the one specified.
The O.D., threads and relief valve pressure is the same.

I dont see any issue with it but thought I would ask for piece of mind.

Last edited:
Bigger on the outside doesn't mean more media on the inside or the same quality of media. Considering how many cars live forever on Frams with little inside, I would go ahead and use them.

The trend is towards smaller filters with less media. The last L-10193 I cut open only had about half the media they used to, down near Fram territory. It could be a new, larger Pure One could have less media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back