Oil Filter Change Process Advice

Good morning from the Pacific NW... I purchased a very well maintained 99 F-350 SD with a 7.3, complete with maint records. The vehicle has an Amsoil remote dual filter set up and the previous owner was using Baldwin oil filters. I subsequently replaced the filters with Amsoil EaBP100 and EaO26 filters and started running Rotella T5 15-40. I switched to the Amsoil filters to extend the filter change time, but I change the oil per Blackstone feedback. My question is this: When changing the oil, do I remove the filters, dump the old oil, replace with new and reinstall? A neighbor claimed I should just leave the old oil in the filters... doesn’t make sense to me. I appreciate your advice.

If I'm taking the filter off, I'm putting on a new filter. Doesn't make sense to me to do the work and then try to save a few dollars by reusing the filters. I run extended OCI and leave my oil filter in for 18000 miles if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to remove it. Running extended oil filter is to save me time and exertion; not money.

You are running the dual remote filter setup? What is Amsoil's recommendation for filter changes and oil change intervals with the dual remote filter setup? Leave the oil in the filters . The 7.3 holds a qt in the hp pump any way. 15 qts of new oil is plenty of new oil.

Change the filters with the oil and I always drain the filters into the drain pan just so I don’t get oil everywhere when I pick it up. Put new oil on the filter don’t use the old oil for that too.

Leave the filters on for their full service life. When the oil comes due for service (specific to vehicle/usage), change the oil only at that time. Do not remove the filters just to dump out the oil and reinstall. That's really unnecessary and creates an opportunity to introduce particles or contaminates into the system. Remove the filters only when they are due for replacement. There is always some old oil left in an engine during a service, this is normal and you can still consider the oil to be changed/fresh after adding all the new oil. Most oil filters still have much life left when they are changed out, this is a margin of safety.

From an AMSOIL dealer: "When used in conjunction with AMSOIL motor oil and an AMSOIL EaO or Donaldson Endurance™ filter, the EaBP should be changed every other full-flow filter change up to 60,000 miles. When used with other brands of motor oil or full-flow filters, the EaBP Filter should be changed every other full-flow filter change."

but I change the oil per Blackstone feedback Ok, but now you're running bypass filtration. If you're savvy enough to change oil per test lab results, you're probably aware that the ideal time to change is when your TAN and your TBN intersect. (Short of other condemnation factors requiring early change). Additionally, now that you're running bypass filtration, are you also having particle counts done? The time to change filters is right before your particle counts start going up. A partially clogged filter is more efficient than a new filter. A fully clogged bypass filter is useless. Without doing oil analysis every 1K miles, it's a lot easier and cheaper to simply put your hand on the bottom of the filter in question while the engine is running and fully warmed. If the filter is cool to the touch, it's no longer flowing; it should be real warm with hot oil flowing through it... Ask me how I know this? Answer: common sense and experience. Happy Thanksgiving!

From current AMSOIL literature, that I received a couple weeks ago: "Oil Filters designated with the product code EAO are recommended for 25,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal service or 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in severe service. NOTE: Change oil filter at every oil change." That's a direct quote from the Factory-Direct Catalog

From current AMSOIL literature, that I received a couple weeks ago: "Oil Filters designated with the product code EAO are recommended for 25,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal service or 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in severe service. NOTE: Change oil filter at every oil change." That's a direct quote from the Factory-Direct Catalog

This same information is now listed on their website too, it's a bold claim to suggest that their oil filters are good for up to 25,000 miles (in optimum usage conditions).

This same information is now listed on their website too, it's a bold claim to suggest that their oil filters are good for up to 25,000 miles (in optimum usage conditions).

That's what they recommend, yes... Bold? That's what they recommend so...

Last edited:
That's what they recommend, yes... Bold? That's what they recommend so...

There is a big difference between a filter that can allegedly go 25,000 miles under optimum conditions and the same filter that can go 15,000 miles under severe conditions. That 10,000 mile spread is a big chunk of time and matter to account for and I would just be curious to know about their research and testing that lead them to be confident in making such a claim.

I am a big Fram Ultra fan but I will not trust one beyond 15,000 miles. My concern is that I have not seen enough information provided by Amsoil on their brand oil filters to share the same confidence as they have.

There is a big difference between a filter that can allegedly go 25,000 miles under optimum conditions and the same filter that can go 15,000 miles under severe conditions. That 10,000 mile spread is a big chunk of time and matter to account for and I would just be curious to know about their research and testing that lead them to be confident in making such a claim.

I am a big Fram Ultra fan but I will not trust one beyond 15,000 miles. My concern is that I have not seen enough information provided by Amsoil on their brand oil filters to share the same confidence as they have.
Honda trusts its fairly cheaply constructed AO series filters to be able to run up to 24K in a hybrid and 20K in a 3.5L V6.

I have no issue at all trusting an ultra to run an equal time.

Honda trusts its fairly cheaply constructed AO series filters to be able to run up to 24K in a hybrid and 20K in a 3.5L V6.

I have no issue at all trusting an ultra to run an equal time.

FWIW I only run the Ultra on my Subaru up to 15,000 miles because of bypass concerns, based on my estimates I would be risking far more bypass events after that mileage and it would be better to simply replace the filter.

I am very confident that the Ultra can go above 20,000 miles under optimal conditions. I am just trying to wrap my mind around how Amsoil can jump 10,000 miles in an interval when their cans probably can't hold much more than 30 grams of particulate matter.

Back