Oil Filter Came Off With Theaded Insert

Today when changing my oil I spun the filter off and the entire threaded insert that screws into the engine came off with the filter. I took the filter off of it and snugged it back on good and tight and put my new oil filter on. My question is, should I have used locktite or anything when screwing that insert back into the engine?

Loctite doesn’t work very well if oil is present unless you use an oil resistant application. It appears you may have over tightened your last oil filter. This seems to have caused the filter and adapter joint to have better clamp load than the adapter to block joint.

Just my $0.02

These can be installed securely by using an internal pipe wrench. If you just hand tightened it it's likely to come out again at the next filter change. Which isn't a big deal but something to look out for.

I don't think threadlocker will help in this application. You wrenched the fitting back onto the engine tightly so I bet it's good to go. If it does come out again, wrench it on a little tighter... or just consider this transfer as part of the oil service now :)

Back