Oil filter break up

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know when a oil filter is deteriorating, like you have left it longer than you should, before changing it??

Thanks

I can tell when mine gets loaded up because my oil pressure gauge will begin reading a higher pressure at a hot idle. It usually happens about 3000 miles, or close to that mark.

I am suprised that you filter would get that bad in only 3000 miles, Jimmy. Is it a rather small filter? You may be able to get a larger filter.

Hey, I go by the Zephyrhills exit every January on my way to Tigers Baseball Fantasy Camp in Lakeland.

Originally Posted By: BAD1
How do you know when a oil filter is deteriorating, like you have left it longer than you should, before changing it??

Thanks

You need to change it before you should feel the need to ask this question.

Originally Posted By: BAD1

Thanks

How many miles over how many months? Daily drive??

I use a ProSelect 21085 Paul. When it gets close to the 3K mark I will see a slight increase in oil pressure when my truck is at operating temperature. It could be a problem with my OEM oil pressure gauge, or maybe it's just psychological as a result of my being on BITOG...

I have heard the Wix filter for a Dodge 318 engine will fit my truck and offer more oil capacity, but I haven't tried it yet.

We have a lot of good preseason baseball and minor league games in Tampa and Clearwater in the spring. Stop in and check one out one year when you get down this way.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I can tell when mine gets loaded up because my oil pressure gauge will begin reading a higher pressure at a hot idle. It usually happens about 3000 miles, or close to that mark.

So I take it your oil pressure gauge is located before the filter? In most cases, OEM gauge sensors are located after the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I use a ProSelect 21085 Paul. When it gets close to the 3K mark I will see a slight increase in oil pressure when my truck is at operating temperature. It could be a problem with my OEM oil pressure gauge, or maybe it's just psychological as a result of my being on BITOG...

I have heard the Wix filter for a Dodge 318 engine will fit my truck and offer more oil capacity, but I haven't tried it yet.

We have a lot of good preseason baseball and minor league games in Tampa and Clearwater in the spring. Stop in and check one out one year when you get down this way.
Yeah, for sure you can get a bigger filter to fit if you have the clearance. Only time my oil pressure varies is hot summer if I am driving the wee out of it in city traffic, the max OP will drop a few psi--indicates getting hotter and thinner. Can't say I have notice any pressure variation from filter. Very cold mornings, say -0F the pressure is extremely slow to come up, will go up some on start then take a couple miles to get up to max cold pressure. Don't know if filter influences that as bypass should be open, guess it's just the trying to push jello through a tiny hole effect.
crazy2.gif

The minor league games would be fun. We've thought of going up here but closest is about 1.5 hrs away. We do watch historic 1890s baseball (no gloves) at Henry Ford Greenfield Village in the summer.

Oil filters get clogged by soot, dirt, sludge, oil degradation, etc. It the engine is running right, it is hard to fill GM just reported the "average" oil change with the monitor is 8500 miles. The OEM filter will easily cover that, and a better filter will surpass it easily.
The better your oil, the less it clogs. I just cut the original filter from my Grand Cherokee after 5000 miles (1000 + 4000) for the two changes (dealer didn't have filters yet). It was no way ready to be called clogged, full, or anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back