oil filter brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. Fram does not pass *MY* standard, and that's more important to me than "industry standard"

LOL!

Why pay $5.00+ for a fram, when you get Bosch, Wix, for about the same price, and are better; or even STP and SuperTech for much less and are better than Fram?

Originally Posted By: adibigs
who cares... if the filter is on the market they past standards.
chinese made toys with lead and pet food with melamine were also on the market.

Originally Posted By: adibigs
who cares... if the filter is on the market they past standards.

Wow. And I thought I was apathetic.

Fram has not "past" my standards. The cheap junk filters that you get off Ebay and Rockauto don't pass my standards. Some of the cheaper Champ labs filters don't pass my standards.

I've had Wix filters leak from the seam. I've bought STP's and Frams that had no gasket. I bought a Baldwin that had two gaskets glued on top of one another. I had a K+N that had a big hole on the bottom where the nut should have been. I cut open a Bosche that had no filter media in it. Purolator has replaced the texturizing process on some of their filters due to the grit getting loose inside and on the threads.

The list, I'm sure, could go on and on. These filters all passed "someones" standards, but they sure weren't mine.

What standards? There are none.

Each engine maker puts on the filter that meets their standards, but they keep the standards a secret.

Each oil filter maker reverse-engineers the OE oil filters and either lists one of their existing filters for that application or designs a new filter.

If you use the filter listed for that application, and the filter fails, the oil filter maker is liable for the cost of repairs. This is only because they listed that filter for your engine. Not because of any established standards or public testing.

There is no consideration that the filter might be poor, not cause catastrophic damage, but eventually contribute to an engine worn out before it's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back