Oil Filter Autopsy Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, after joining here I'm curious enough to cut apart the PureOne filter I took off my truck last Friday after a 2942 mile run. I have an older Dremel (somewhere) and time on my hands.

My question is how y'all handle the spring action. I don't have a vise but I have a C-clamp that I can use to lightly contain the housing while I cut on it. I assume folks who have done this do something similar or am I way overthinking this?

Don't worry about the spring, there isn't that much pressure in there. It's not going to send the pieces flying if tthat's what you're worried about.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Don't worry about the spring, there isn't that much pressure in there. It's not going to send the pieces flying if tthat's what you're worried about.

Thanks but I'm also thinking about the housing twisting while I cut it, especially near the end of the cut. Is this also a non-issue for those that don't want to spend $50+ and have tools available other BITOGers have used to do such autopsies?

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
... or am I way overthinking this?

This. As said not enough compression force to make a difference and many here use a Dremel with no problem and no clamp use.

Just cut it open however you can.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
OK thanks.

The wife would not be amused by a oil filter "Spring Surprise" spatter somewhere.

Don't do it in the kitchen ... LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back