Oil Filter Addition to Splasher Engine?

I have a 1937 Hudson 6 cylinder engine which I’ve rebuilt a few years ago. There is no filter system & since I’m running modern detergent synthetic oil, I’m looking at adding a filter setup. The engine is a splasher & the oil pump pulls oil from pan to splasher tray which is run off the cam. I’m told the oil pump is around 5 pounds pressure. I’ve been looking at both a bypass vintage type setup as well as a full flow system.

Anyone have experience with adding a filter, especially a full flow setup? I’m guessing I may need to contact a filter manufacturer to see what flows the best & least restrictive.

Im certainly not a hudson guru but the main question I have is whether that engine or engine series ever got a filter? If they did I would research what changes were required to implement that?

I would guess the existing pump is inadequate for supplying either pressure or excess volume capacity to achieve what you are looking for.

You probably want a filter that will drop less than 1 psi at the maximum flow rate of the pump. Do you know the flow rate? You might be able to estimate it from the dimensions of the pump and its maximum rpm.

From the oil filter restriction tests I've seen for automotive filters, the WIX XP had the lowest restriction, with a dP of 0.7 psi at 3 GPM with 16 cST oil. This was the WIX 51348XP. A larger model should have even less restriction.

If you have room for a very large filter, you could check Donaldson's catalog for their heavy duty diesel engine filters. The P550947 has a pressure drop of under 0.4 psi at 6.5 GPM and 15 cST, and is 99% efficient at 23 micron.

A filter with a very low bypass setting could help prevent oil starvation if the filter is too restrictive or if it clogs. The Baldwin BT310 has a bypass setting of only 2 psi.

You could go with a vintage beehive style partial bypass filter. It would be something that looks period correct and would be safe. Here's a a link to a reproduction, but there are probably other similar options out there.

sku-images-hp-hp112_beehive_oil_filter.jpg

What kind of oil pump does it use?
If it's a positive displacement pump then it's developing 5psi because there's no flow resistance. A positive displacement pump will have no problem pushing oil through even a riding lawn mower sized oil filter.

Here is my filter addition to a mostly splash oiled engine. It's a bypass filter and I used a hydraulic filter rated for several microns and several gallons per minute.

Back