Oil Fill photo ( Infinity G37X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought this CPO 11' Infinity G37X w/ 46k miles for the wife, Oil used Nissan Ester Blend, unknown OCI.
I will be doing future oil changes on this car and haven't decided on what oil to use, But I have narrowed it down to GC 0w30, PU 5w30 or mobil 1 5w30 and I will keep it at 5k miles max.
[/URL[URL=http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/roblizares/media/DSC06329_zps2306180b.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/roblizares/media/DSC06345_zps6862bb6f.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/roblizares/media/DSC06326_zps8c7440cc.jpg.html]

Last edited:
Looks great! Why do these engines "need" Nissans special ester oil? I think M1 0w40 would be worth considering as well.

They don't need it at all, and it's counterproductive to one's wallet's health.
wink.gif

Plus 1 for the Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula. The VQ engine can shear oils but if you keep it at 5k the 5w30 is more appropriate. If you extended to 8-10k the European Formula is the same price so better ROI

The 'need' is to quiet some ticking that occurs related to the DLC coating on valvetrAin parts.

I thought it was only required on the early 3.7 motors, but I could be wrong.

These engines produce a lot of heat in the valvetrain related to the variable lift system at high RPM.

I would be inclined to use M1 0w40 and live with the ticking if it occurs. I have not heard great things about the Nissan ester oil.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
The 'need' is to quiet some ticking that occurs related to the DLC coating on valvetrAin parts.

Even then, I'm not sure how much it was a placebo. Other fixes for this noise included reflashing the ECM. They seemed to throw things at it, and whatever made the customer happy was good enough.
wink.gif

I had the strange ticking twice in my G37. It was at idle, and what causes me to believe the electrical issue explanation was that a shut down and a restart eliminated it immediately. Mine was the first year of the 3.7, and the ester oil is mentioned in the manual, but certainly not required.

Looks very clean My Scion xB's oil filler area is dark colored. Oil changed every 5k miles with dealership bulk oil. But it looks like it is tarred.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Looks very clean My Scion xB's oil filler area is dark colored. Oil changed every 5k miles with dealership bulk oil. But it looks like it is tarred.

Lots of short trip?

This car will see lots of it, will run synthetic and change often.

I am the second owner, not when I had it but maybe before. Or the type of the engine, it is a small 1,5lt engine.

If Nissan Ester blend helped the engine look like the way it does, it did a great job, why change?

If it ain't broke........

However the European 40 grades are pretty good products as well and m1 0w-40 is tough to beat as far as cost at Walmart.

If I could get oil at American prices I'd buy nothing but m1 0w-40 and tgmo 0w-20,and custom blend whatever specific grade I needed in each vehicle.
Those 2 oils are as good as they come.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
If Nissan Ester blend helped the engine look like the way it does, it did a great job, why change?

The cost would be the primary concern. Severe service type intervals on that oil could be shockingly expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back