Oil Extreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It reeks of snake oil. Here's one trigger: Guarantees up to 7 Horsepower Gain and up to 10% extra mileage in passenger cars and race cars.

Yeah snakey snake...."up to" means "none to maybe"

AND they sell motor oil too...but no statistics or data other than their hype. Yet plenty of folks will buy it because of the cool name.

Calcium Sulfonates in Oil Extreme have been known to have EP and AW properties. Variations include: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3643949/
You shouldn't add any to turbo DI engines due to possible LSPI effects.
On other engines, it does raise TBN a lot, which is good, but surface competition with moly and zddp already in a motor oil could be a problem.
There would need to be some engine test (Sequence IVA or similar) to show Oil Extreme worked well with any particular motor oil to be convinced it will work.

This is not new technology. Most elemental calcium seen in motor oil analyses comes from over-based calcium sulfonate. The calcium is in the form of calcite nanoparticles and is present in an excess to yield a high BN additive which, in turn increases engine oil BN by the treat level percentage of the additive BN. For example, the addition of 1% of a 400 BN OB calcium sulfonate increases engine oil BN by 4. Typically, OB calcium sulfonate with BNs of 400 are used. The calcite does have both anti-scuff (formerly Extreme Pressure) and anti-wear capabilities. I've never seen reference to it having a low coefficient of friction which would improve gas mileage and possibly horsepower but it may have this potential as well. As I said I don't know.

This is also the same technology to produce calcium sulfonate grease which has excellent natural anti-scuff without the use of additional AS additives. The thickener is the AS additive.

Isn't this stuff a favorite of 540RAT? Magic elixir? Maybe there is something to the high calcium. I seem to recall that Amsoil had very high calcium levels and they would tout there antiwear/extreme pressure results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood
Isn't this stuff a favorite of 540RAT? Magic elixir? Maybe there is something to the high calcium. I seem to recall that Amsoil had very high calcium levels and they would tout there antiwear/extreme pressure results.

This Oil Extreme and BG MOA should go on a date. Sound like alot of the same

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by drfeelgood

This Oil Extreme and BG MOA should go on a date. Sound like alot of the same

LOL

What kind of children would those two reproduce ??

lol.gif

I couldn't find it in the archives here-but specifically remember a used oil analysis done on a 1990's six cylinder Camry analyzed by Terry Dyson using oil extreme mixed with Redline 10w30. Recall reason Terry suggested this additive was to raise the tbn. Recall the Calcium levels were about 4000 using this additive. Will try to find again so can attach the post.
Here is one post-not the one I was thinking of but used oil extreme.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-extreme-5w-30-00pontiac-3-8l#Post216614

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spiderbypass
I couldn't find it in the archives here-but specifically remember a used oil analysis done on a 1990's six cylinder Camry analyzed by Terry Dyson using oil extreme mixed with Redline 10w30. Recall reason Terry suggested this additive was to raise the tbn. Recall the Calcium levels were about 4000 using this additive. Will try to find again so can attach the post.

That's great, but you could also find an oil that has a higher starting TBN. That way you don't have to dump in some sketchy fix-in-a-bottle that will likely cause the oil to lose any certification or approval it may otherwise have.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass
I couldn't find it in the archives here-but specifically remember a used oil analysis done on a 1990's six cylinder Camry analyzed by Terry Dyson using oil extreme mixed with Redline 10w30. Recall reason Terry suggested this additive was to raise the tbn. Recall the Calcium levels were about 4000 using this additive[/i. Will try to find again so can attach the post.

Sounds like an LSPI nightmare, but that was 18 years ago before the LSPI scare.

Had the Oil Extreme in the 2002 thread been analyzed before usage maybe we could have extract something useful from this thread and determine if it has any real efficacy or just another company selling a single additive chemistry component and making exorbitant claims.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back