Oil Expansion

When I went through this (using math!) a while back I concluded the hot level on my Honda K24 was about 5%, or 1/4 quart greater than cold. Still, filling with specified oil change capacities seems to put the cold level at “full”.

When I went through this (using math!) a while back I concluded the hot level on my Honda K24 was about 5%, or 1/4 quart greater than cold. Still, filling with specified oil change capacities seems to put the cold level at “full”.
Same experience with my K24, for what that's worth.

Yes, I checked it the following morning after the car had been parked for 12 hours.
Did you check it in the same spot when the engine and oil was fully hot from driving? Check it 15-20 minutes after shutting off the engine.

Oil stays up in the heads for a long time.. I always prefer to check after two days of sitting on a flat surface for an accurate oil reading.

I have a 6.7 Cummins that takes 12 quarts. I had one oil change done at the dealership and the service manager told me they never put 12 quarts in. They have less than 30 minutes to do an oil change so they drain as much as they can and then add 10 quarts and then start slowly adding more and measuring it on the dipstick..

You can never drain 100% of the oil out anyway

Also, the level that you check the oil on needs to be flat… like 0 degree pitch or roll.. a slight 1 degree change can and does affect the reading on the dipstick. Some garages are slightly slanted so water can flow out near the garage doors.

Just saying.

Oil stays up in the heads for a long time.. I always prefer to check after two days of sitting on a flat surface for an accurate oil reading.
Don't need that much time. I've checked the oil cold 12 hours after engine shutdown, then again 3 days later and the cold oil level was exactly the same.

Also, the level that you check the oil on needs to be flat… like 0 degree pitch or roll.. a slight 1 degree change can and does affect the reading on the dipstick. Some garages are slightly slanted so water can flow out near the garage doors.

Just saying.
Most garages, even with the slight grade, are about a level as you're going to find. Just check the oil in the garage all the time for consistent dipstick readings.

Some auto makers consider the dipstick markings as “minimum“ and “maximum“ oil levels. So adding the listed crankcase volume of oil will bring you to the mid range of the markings.

Back