Oil drained out hotter these last few times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using Redline 0w20 and have noticed it's quite a bit hotter during the drain. Coolant level is serviced regularly and was trying to think of why. Our master technician runs Motul 300V and noted the same instances. He comes to the conclusion that with the higher end oils they retain the heat better and by doing so allow the car to run cooler. It got to the point tonight that we were on the conclusion that since the flash point is higher it allows the oil to get hotter so the engine isn't absorbing as much of the heat. When I ran Castrol MAGNATEC it seemed to kinda do the same. Some have said the 0w20 MAGNATEC was a blend of 3&5 groups. Qsud and PU 0w20 didn't seem to flow out as hot no matter what. Just an observation. Any talking points or theories are always welcome. Good day everyone

Hotter oil usually means more frictional heat going into the oil

Maybe it just stays hotter over the time before the drain happens because the engine will not cool off as fast after shutdown when the ambient air temperature is higher.

The OP runs with some additives in his oil so that will complicate things some. The oil itself cannot be singled out here.

It's not the higher flash point otherwise you'd lose half your oil every day.

Specifically how much hotter?

Warm ambient temperature now is probably a bigger factor in the perceived difference than any esoteric explanation.

I hope this thread reaches a conclusion one way or another. I don't wanna change to 30W due to a gut feeling that 0w20 isn't the best oil for my Camrys. I need documented proof.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
I hope this thread reaches a conclusion one way or another. I don't wanna change to 30W due to a gut feeling that 0w20 isn't the best oil for my Camrys. I need documented proof.
grin2.gif

Nothing to worry about unless you're putting that Camry on a racr track.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Uh, it's summer. Everything under the hood is hotter.

Except maybe the low pressure side of the AC system.

Yup! My truck retains heat the whole day

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
....What did I just read?

Lost me at hotter during the drain …

You will need to record ambient at time of drain ambient at time of shutdown and actual "candy thermometer" reading of the first 1/2 litre when drained.

Other wise it's just wild speculation.

I've proved my subjective self wrong with metrics a few times, I'm embarrassed to say
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Uh, it's summer. Everything under the hood is hotter.

Except maybe the low pressure side of the AC system.

Yes, agree 100% here; plus a good laugh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back