Oil Disosal Mineral versus Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
When disposing of old oil we seem to dump it all together. When recyclers do their thing... how does that mix affect the end-product? Is it seperated out...or does it matter?

Registered in 2004 and just posted for the first time??

welcome2.gif

Thanks for the response...but that wasn't my question. I realize I can dump 'em together when ridding myself of the stuff...
I"m wondering about recyclers who re-refine and re-sell their end product. How does the mix affect their operation...? or does recycled oil simply deserve to be relegated to the "never buy/use" category?

I would just be guessing, so I'll wait for someone with industry knowledge to answer your question.

For the 90% or so that's used for fuel / blended into fuel oil, I can't see it making any significant difference.

For the 10% or so that's re-refined, it appears to work out OK.

You could ask Safety Kleen (Clean Harbors) directly for the re-refining impact.

If synthetic meant anything, it'd mean they could call it a synthetic blend.

But it doesn't, so it doesn't matter.

According to Scientific American, 90 % of the 1.3 billion gallons of used motor oil collected in the USA every year is burned in industrial boilers etc. Only 10% is re-refined.

We used to have a very large recycling refinery in Calgary. All the products went to a central tank. I’ve been told the economics of it all is so low margin there is no way you can can bother separating the fluids. Now, I’ve never witnessed, this and someone correct me if i’m wrong, biut I believe ithey don’t even seperate engine oil from gear oil or transmission fluid.

It’s all mixed together, screened and then is heated. Not sure how they get the heavy metals out. It then goes through the distillation process and they re-introduce hydrogen into the molecules to produce a feedstock. Thiis was done at a refinery sized facility; no mom and pop operation.

I guess the short cut is the guys who burn it locally in furnaces for their shops. I imagine they have their own preference.

SD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Not sure how they get the heavy metals out.

Basically, the last thing left. Our re refinery used clay filters. The toxic waste left is one of the reasons it was shut down, no one wanted to deal with it.

I've read that synthetic oil is slightly more difficult to burn. Otherwise, it has little significant impact in the waste stream.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
According to Scientific American, 90 % of the 1.3 billion gallons of used motor oil collected in the USA every year is burned in industrial boilers etc. Only 10% is re-refined.

We used to have a very large recycling refinery in Calgary. All the products went to a central tank. I’ve been told the economics of it all is so low margin there is no way you can can bother separating the fluids. Now, I’ve never witnessed, this and someone correct me if i’m wrong, biut I believe ithey don’t even seperate engine oil from gear oil or transmission fluid.

It’s all mixed together, screened and then is heated. Not sure how they get the heavy metals out. It then goes through the distillation process and they re-introduce hydrogen into the molecules to produce a feedstock. Thiis was done at a refinery sized facility; no mom and pop operation.

I guess the short cut is the guys who burn it locally in furnaces for their shops. I imagine they have their own preference.

SD

We went through a lot of ATF at work, Before we got paid for our waste oil the people looking for waste oil to burn always liked the batches that had a lot of ATF in them.

Originally Posted By: 64bawagon

We went through a lot of ATF at work, Before we got paid for our waste oil the people looking for waste oil to burn always liked the batches that had a lot of ATF in them.

ATF runs beautifully in older IDI engines (6.2 and 6.5 GM, 6.9 and 7.3 Ford)

Yes, synthetic oil makes problems in oil-burning applications. The part that doesn't burn makes a really nasty hard goo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back