Oil dirty after 3 weeks??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

1991 Plymouth Acclaim, 2.5L4, 120,550 miles

I just got this car two months ago, and changed the oil about 3 weeks ago. The previous owner used 10w30 Valvoline since new.
shocked.gif
I changed to Chevron Supreme 5w30, and a Super Tech ST8A (oversized filter).
grin.gif

I have been checking the oil constantly, and getting things tuned up and cleaned up since getting the car. Well, the new oil smells like it has 3,000 miles on it already, when it only has a couple hundred miles on it, and I have not overheated at all, and it is pretty dark already, too.
rolleyes.gif

Does it sound like

1. I have sludge, and the Chevron is cleaning my engine up some, or
2. That my engine is too tough on the oil, and it is beating the oil up too easily, or
3. That I am using the wrong grade of oil for my engine, even though the manual says 5w30

I am eagerly awaiting the results of the current users giving AutoRX a shot to know whether to use it or Neutra to clean up my engine.

For now, though, what should I do? Does it sound like I have a real problem here, or just an engine in need of cleaning?
dunno.gif

I look forward to your thoughts on this matter.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

David

[ August 15, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: DJStillman ]

Dino Chevron Supreme 5W30 is a good oil.

Just my thoughts:

1. Oil is cleaning sludgy crud from engine due to DD package and lighter weight oil.

2. Rings are worn? (burning or consuming any oil?) and blowby is darkening oil.

3. Fuel in oil? Is it running rich? Rich mixtures leave hydrocarbons in oil and when partly burned, turn oil black.

You may want to go up to Chevron Supreme 10W30 for an engine with this many miles.

Auto-Rx the engine and see if the oil is blacker and thicker at oil change.

Stick with 3k changes or less until things stabilize.

When buying used, I often find the first oil change needs to be cut short, so as to scrub the engine of all the neglect the DPO left it with.

Cheers, 3MP

Don't even hesitate. Run the AutoRx himile treatment. I vote for blow-by due to dirty ring packs AND cleaning old crud. AutoRx seems to work well on both - but patience is reuired.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
1. Oil is cleaning sludgy crud from engine due to DD package and lighter weight oil.

2. Rings are worn? (burning or consuming any oil?) and blowby is darkening oil.

3. Fuel in oil? Is it running rich? Rich mixtures leave hydrocarbons in oil and when partly burned, turn oil black.

You may want to go up to Chevron Supreme 10W30 for an engine with this many miles.

1. This is what I am hoping/thinking it is.

2. I am not consuming or burning any oil, and when I take the oil fill cap off, I am not getting a ton of pressure blowing out, plus all of the PCV system has been cleaned and replaced.
smile.gif

3. From what I am able to tell, it is not running rich right now. If anything, a little lean maybe. It is a TBI system, and does not get much of a chance to give the car too much gas to begin with.
grin.gif

Unfortunately, I live in Michigan, and during the winter I cannot use 10w30, plus the 5w30 has seemed to quiet things down a decent bit along with an ST filter. I hope I am giving enough information to help you help me...
dunno.gif

Aside from the car being a little rocker noisy, it does not seem like there is anything really wrong with the car. It has a really good engine cooling system that I doubt would ever cook the oil. Really, I just think I am cleaning out Valvoline crud, but want to be as sure as possible. Is the Chevron Supreme THAT good at cleaning an engine??

Thank you all for your comments.

David

DJ,

quote:

Is the Chevron Supreme THAT good at cleaning an engine?

I hate to sound wishy-washy, but it's a matter of degree. If the Chevron has a slightly better DD package, then yes.

It appears from your description that the engine is a rather sound engine. Most likely you have left-over crud from drain intervals that the Valvoline couldn't handle.

Schaeffer's Neutra and Lube Control (for fast cleaning) or Auto-RX for slow cleaning might accelerate the engine cleaning process. In either case, and as others have suggested, reduce the drain interval until you are convinced the engine is cleaner and blow-by has decreased to acceptable levels.

Like Pablo & Molakule suggest, a good cleaning with Auto-Rx or Neutra is definately in order. It's common for the chrysler 2.5 to develop a bad case of stuck piston rings as they age. I'm not sure of the "rocker noise" you describe (can't remember the exact cylinder head detail of this OHC engine), but I'm pretty sure the cam sits directly above the valves (no rockers). G/luck
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back