Oil Dialysis ...make your oil last a long time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My cars already have built in dialysis setups.

They're called oil filters.

Very great point
smile.gif

These people are [censored] idiots and I should know because I have dealt with them firsthand.

To say Autoblog offers honest points about cars is like saying Tammy Faye Baker honestly never wore makeup.

The site is virtual toilet paper. Nothing more.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
$300 for this thing, or $20-30 for a new oil and filter? I wonder.

But why spend that when you could spend $40 for a filter on this thing?

MicroGreen oil filters are around $11 each, and contain a built-in 2 micron "side" filter element next to the normal main media.

i think this is gonna be a breakthrough in the future instead of only marketing gimmick nowadays.

the analogue is good for maybe saving environment but how about the oil itself (can it still proper in lubricating engine? or we need to add some additive?).

for the cost? maybe now it is still expensive, if we compare still cheaper do oil change then dialysis. for the future? hmm interesting.

eventually, the most important that how we can change people's thought and believe. that is the hardest part of the transition.

for me? hmm i am interested in electric car for the future (city cars, trucks, suvs, mpvs, vans, even offroad cars, so good in high torque) and would like to create electricity using clean and environmental save sources

I do not think this is nearly as foolish as some are making it out to be.

This looks a lot like some of the bypass filters I have read about on this forum, just made to sit on the counter and not be inside the engine. These bypass filters that I have read about show some amazing results and it seems like a great idea if the engine is worth it and you have the room under the hood.

There are full synthetic oils out there that hardly seem to sheer down at all, and there are used oil analyses on here that show that oil can go a long time as long as it is clean and does not break down/sludge up.

It does seem to be logical that a particularly robust full synthetic could go a long time if it is filtered to an extreme degree that a bypass filter can provide.

My engine shows remarkably little wear at 190K, and it will likely outlast the rest of the car using normal oil changes. So there is little point in this for me.

But I do think it is arrogant to think that there is no one out there where something like this could be a good solution. Provided of course that the device is made well and the filters are not too expensive.

I read through their tech specs. Apparently they use a 12v 6amp pump, draw oil and somehow have a working pressure of 4 bar, and ram the oil through a 0.5 micron non woven cellulose element.

So in other words, this is EXACTLY a bypass filter, just only for occasional 'offline' use.

For their intro 50 percent off price of $150, who could resist?

Their about-us page shows that the inventor is a standard environmentalist, but I couldn't find any engineering credentials when I glanced through.

As part of their usage paradigm, they have the user perform a handy-dandy ink blotter test that tells you how good the oil is depending on its color!!!
15.gif
57.gif

Some local farmers remove oil from a vehicle or other powered device and gravity feed it through toilet paper into a settling tank and put it back as needed. They do it in batches and only replace it when it fails lab analysis.

They change oil based on hours or the amount of fuel used by a given vehicle, pump or whatever and say this system makes the oil good for about 5 or 6 cycles before being replaced. They start with 15w-40 diesel grade oil for the gas and diesel engines and they also use this process for gear and transmission oil using the respective required fluids. They know exactly what they are looking for in the analysis. It's been said that they started during WWII when they all went through drastic expansions to meed government needs and the required fluids were a bit more difficult to purchase.

They have been told that toilet paper will never work and they just smile and say thank you for the advice. They also don't mention they use toilet paper to filter diesel fuel and gasoline, too.

Farmers are amazing. They can fix anything. I welded up a crankcase on a stationary generator that was 75 years old and while cleaning it up found that it had been welded up a half dozen times before. The cylinder liners and other wear areas were in perfect shape. The farmer told me they'll replace it when [censored] freezes over. My next job is a Continental flathead 6 that was manufactured in 1930 for a farm truck that is still in use. It's far too new to consider replacing it (lol).

Nothing in that description that justifies the description "dialysis", but I suppose the journo couldn't be bothered to look it up.

In dialysis you have a semi-permeable membrane that allows small molecules to pass but retains big ones.You remove the small molecules from the big ones with a counter-current solvent. In the case of medical dialysis machines, which replace kidney function, the solvent is physiological saline.

IF that was or could be done with oil (doubt that it is, but I dunno) you'd be doing it to remove SMALL small contaminant molecules like acids and nitrates. You might be able to replace bases/detergents and AW compounds if they are small enough (dunno) but it'd be an expensive way of doing it since you'd need an excess in the dialysis solvent.

It wouldn't be at all effective for removing particulates, which requires filtration.

This seems to be offline ultra-filtration.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
MicroGreen oil filters are around $11 each, and contain a built-in 2 micron "side" filter element next to the normal main media.

Or, someone could point out bypass filtration, which has been done for decades.

Having managed dialysis clinics in my past I will say they are definitely misusing the term. Dialysis involves osmosis across a semipermeable membrane. This is purely filtration, albeit fine filtration. When I was involved with Amsoil in the early nineties my sponsor's homemade video claimed that Amsoil's bypass filter system could achieve 100,000 mile OCIs. So, as stated above, this is just an offline version with it's own pump.

Just filtering oil doesn't fix the oil completely. It can stretch oil change intervals, yet just filtering, however fine it is (0.5 microns here), can't reverse oil aging (oxidation, acid buildup, additive breakdown from shearing, etc.).
With a good synthetic on a healthy engine, this may help you get 30,000 miles on the same oil, not much more than that I'd guess.

Bottom line: It has merits. Could be the in the future this will be routine every 6 months.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
Am I the only one who thought of this?

opening_credits_original_1_full_zpsuwqgpdnz.jpg

Selleck could endorse this product, taking a break from selling reverse mortgages.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back