Oil Dialed In For Hyundai 2.4L Non - Turbo GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the heavier 5W30 synthetics (M1 , Edge ) have their place - the PP 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 with a cST of 9.6 @ 100 C. and A1/ A5 rating (plus GM , Ford , Chrysler and Honda ratings ) is just about ideal for this engine . It's a light 30 weight for a bit more ideal for faster warm up , a little a more free / less oil drag running engine and the A1 / A5 rating should help the oil from diluting out of grade with a GDI engine (still with an HTS of 3.0) ...I toyed with the idea of trying the PP 5W20 but just too many great things with this oil not to use it again (Georgia , USA winter fill) and the roll back price at WM was $22.88 . Lastly , this is the only oil and grade I have used of the name brand 5W30 synthetics where the engine is so quiet all you hear is the faint sound of fuel injectors working or you wouldn't know the engine was even running . Just say'n those with Hyundai / Kia 2/4L GDI engines give the PP5W30 oil a try and I believe you will be happy with the results (5K Mile / 5 month OCI Fram Ultra #9688) .

I've used it in my 2.4l Optima and my 2.0T Escape. It's not my go to oil in either of my vehicles. I usually go a little cheaper with th Optima. I like Motorcraft 5W30 synblend or QS Ultimate 5W30 for the Optima.

The high-pressure fuel pump is so loud in these cars I couldn't tell the difference between oils even if I had supersonic hearing.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
The high-pressure fuel pump is so loud in these cars I couldn't tell the difference between oils even if I had supersonic hearing.

Amen to that. I have had a '17 Sonata and that pump was so loud. I've had 2 new GDI cars since that car and I can't hear it at all. I wonder why Hyundai's are so loud

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Throt
Originally Posted by Nick1994

Amen to that. I have had a '17 Sonata and that pump was so loud. I've had 2 new GDI cars since that car and I can't hear it at all. I wonder why Hyundai's are so loud

Your Elantra's loud? ("all Hyundai's are so loud")... I've noticed nothing on my Soul 2 liter or my GF's '17 Optima 2.4. Course I'm old and deaf.

I'm currently using PP 5w-30 in my 1.6 naturally aspirated GDI Accent commuter and it does seem like it's the best of all worlds..or I've convinced myself it is.

Most GDI cars that I've had experience with aren't particularly loud, but before the high pressure fuel pump warms up they definitely are louder. I can easily say that my car is no louder than a comparable MPFI model once it's warmed up...so I'm not sure you can make a blanket statement about Hyundais. I remember the salesman at the dealership going through some "understanding" items before the test drive....1) the car had an inflation kit and not a spare tire and 2) the GDI fuel pump was loud until it warmed up. That's been true in the almost six years I've had the vehicle as it gets much quieter once it warms up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back