Oil detergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you look at the UOA and VOA you will find that Amsoil has a very high level of Ca, Some Mg, and also ZDDP which all act as detergents. Also I believe Esters in and of themselves are probably somewhat like a detergent so I would give the nod to AMSOIL. But the question is that detergency enough and in this case I'm not sure more is better.

The oil's viscosity grade is indendent of the detergency level.

All modern oils have detergents. All are just about the same...I know, some do help clean an engine over a very long period of time. If your engine needs cleaning, clean it. Buy the oil you need for lubrication, not for cleaning. Oils for diesel engines do have a higher level of detergents, but even those will not significantly clean a sludged engine...and the viscosity might be wrong for your engine, anyway.

Ken

[ June 21, 2003, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

All modern oils have detergents. All are just about the same...I know, some do help clean an engine over a very long period of time. If your engine needs cleaning, clean it. Buy the oil you need for lubrication, not for cleaning. Oils for diesel engines do have a higher level of detergents, but even those will not significantly clean a sludged engine...and the viscosity might be wrong for your engine, anyway

I totaly agree.
cheers.gif

FWIW, I haven't tried every synth. on the market, but have found that short of Delvac 1 (but, you question pertained to gas engine oils), Syntec has cleaned out my engine 2nd best so far. Guess it doesn't smell like Tide for nothing....BTW, 3 different grades of M-1 didn't touch my sludge one ioda.

quote:

I am pretty sure that Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 would have to be near the top of the list of oils with high detergency. If you are on a budget, you may also consider Shell Rotella T 5W40 available at Wal*Mart. Both of these oils are rated for gasoline and diesel use and that is why they have much higher levels of detergents

True, good point. D1 or any diesel oil in fact will have very high amounts of detergents.

quote:

Originally posted by Yuk:
Which synthetic oil for gasoline engines has the greatest detergency and does the oil's grade affect it's detergency ?

I am pretty sure that Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 would have to be near the top of the list of oils with high detergency. If you are on a budget, you may also consider Shell Rotella T 5W40 available at Wal*Mart. Both of these oils are rated for gasoline and diesel use and that is why they have much higher levels of detergents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back