Oil Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm looking for the type of cooler that fits under the oil filter and has coolant lines from the heater hose running to and from it to fit my Ford Windsor small block. Ford used to use them in police cars and tow vehicles. Any one know where I could find one?
Thanks.

ebay.... I'll typically bid about $40+/- delivered.

Here's one. It's been slim pickin's lately. There are usually one or two at a time going up for auction. There's another one .. here, but I think it's for the metric thread. I think the description is wrong, though. The one for the Durtech (I have one of those) doesn't look like that. I think that this has the right threads for your standard 3/4-16 filter on the block side ..but I'm pretty sure those are modular threads showing for the filter. That's how it is on this one
 -
The right angle thingy is 3/4-16 ..but the filter threads are metric
dunno.gif
(I got one of these too
shocked.gif
)

The NOS supply on these has really dried up. There used to be an ongoing supply of these (the one on the right)

-
I managed to fit it to my daughter's Vulcan 3.0.

Oh ..I failed to mention ...

If you want to ante up for new, just slide on by your local MOPAR/DC dealership and ask for an oil cooler from a 2005 Grand Caravan with the heavy duty towing package. The nipples are angled instead of the curved or straight ..but the unit is essentially the same. It goes for $94 list ..and the trade price is about $74.

Well I bid in on the Duratech cooler, and didn't win:(. Oh well, the Escapes have been around for a few years now, there's got to be some wrecks in the scrap yards. You know how bad some folks drive!

How much room do you have around your filter mount? I can't remember a Windsor ..it's been so long.

Be careful on what you bid on. I just rethought that Duratech exchanger (I really think it was a misprint). The outside threads are the modular thread on that exchanger. As far as I'm aware, that style of exchager only went on blocks with the 3/4-16 thread. The filter may have the metric thread on one end ..but the inside theads are propably 3/4-16 ..like on this one. On the other hand ..the 3.8 SHO cooler, has 3/4-16 threads on the outside ..but some metric thread on the inside ..and it's a true nipple ..not a bolt extension.

-

That is, if this had the right hose fittings, you could bolt this right angle adapter right up to your Windsor ..but you would have to use the modular filter. It was adapted to a 3/4-16 engine ..or rather ..this setup was adapted to accept the modular filter.

You can also use an Audi/VW heat exchanger. They have a 3/4-16 double threaded pipe/nipple. You merely screw out your filter stud and spin in theirs. This Audi/VW nipple can also be used to adapt just about any heat exchanger to any engine that has 3/4-16 threads. The use a nut to secure the cooler. Gaskets and the nipple are available at any Audi/VW dealer.

Now they must be decent, otherwise it wouldn't be put on an Audi ..but I must admit that I find the Audi/VW exchanger rather "light" compared to the Modines (Ford and Mopar).

If you do decide on an Audi/VW exchanger ..make sure that the seller is sending the bolt and nut along with it. If not, bid very low on it, since the bolt and nut, although not super expensive ..won't be "cheap" when coming across an Audi/VW parts counter. Bid accordingly.

-

The VW/Audi heater sounds good except for one thing, the Windsor pipe nipple is an interference fit and not screwed in. The earlier ones did screw in, they had a hex against the block, but not the later. I once tried on a junk block to get the nipple out, even had a 2 foot pipe wrench on it, but no go. I didn't care on that block, it was total junk, but it taught me not to try that on my hot rod engine.
I don't have much room for a filter, since it's not a stock installation, I can just barely get a short filter in.
So I bought a right angle adapter from the scrap yard off a 460, but the bolt is a male to go in the block, like the early Windsors. DUH, I should have noticed. So the 460 this adapter came off had the nipple threaded into the block.
I'll use a right angle adapter along with the exchanger, and get it from the racing catalogue I guess. Your picture shows what I want, if the bolt screws to the nipple, like filter screws on.
The one for the Duratech that I lost was an idea I had for my wife's Duratech Taurus. She does really short trips and I thought it might be better for the oil to be heated up quicker.

If you get a right angle adapter to work, then I'd go with a Mopar exchanger. The Ford will probably be in the $250-400 range ..while the Mopar will be under $100. They are both Modines of the same or like capacity.

Good luck!

What Chrysler products did the cooler come on. You mentioned the grand caravan, any others?
Maybe I'll find one at the All Ford meet at the Carlisle fairgrounds the first weekend in June.

I'm sure it's used on others ..but the 2005 Grand Caravan has it as an option in the heavy duty towing package. I went to the dealer and looked at the neo-fische (computer display). They discontinued the MOPAR performance parts cooler ..which is the exact same thing ..same price ..same this and that ..just the the nipples are slightly angled instead of being straight out (90°) from the stud.

Wow ..and to think that I went to Carlisle every day for 5 years and never knew that it would evolve to this level of attraction.

Spend wisely
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back