oil cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in reply to my last post i think it is sensor related b/c i get 41psi on startup and it stays in that range for a while even after its up to temp.. Im thinking that i can add a high volume pump, oil cooler, and replace the rear main and run synthetic? I tried synthetic in the past (M1) and it leaked but dont have issues with Dino..... Any thoughts/comments? Engine run temp is 210 so im thinking oil temp is in the 190 range? Bypass it to keep it at 180-195? Main thing is the summers are really hot and id like to be able to hold more oil and be able to go longer between oil changes b/c ill be going off to college in the fall and will be in a dorm....

Ill also be installing a oil temp guage while i have the pan off
smile.gif

On both of my Ford Taurus SHOs there is an oil/water heat exchanger. This uses coolant from the block to moderate the temp of the oil. I believe the purpose is to keep the coolant and oil temp close to each other. What I have done is install a Hayden oil cooler but plumb the coolant through it. This along with a 170F t-stat for summer use have really kept my under hood temps down.

-

If you're going to use an external oil cooler on a street vehicle I'd suggest a themostat on the cooler lines to make use the oil gets up to temp.

check the PRM-1070 from

here

I've used those a couple of times and they seem to work well. The setpoint is 180F but it uses a conventional thermostat so I suppose you could change it if you wanted something different...

edited to shorten URL

[ January 18, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

best bet would be oil between 180 and 200 degrees correct? Also with this type of install....2 questions

1. Will this cause a large pressure drop?
2. Im guessing i should somehow "prime" the cooler and lines beforehand?- thinking just fill up to the best that i can, run for a while and then get the oil level back to full? Does this crossflow like 10% through even at startup or is it an on/off only type thing?

I like the oil/water cooler on my 4Runner.

The coolant gets up to temp really quickly, and drags the oil temp up with it. The coolant then controls the temp of the oil to stay roughly around coolant temp.

I hate the idea of external oil lines and miles of plumbing on anything that will be started 2-3 times per day.

quote:

Originally posted by higney85:
best bet would be oil between 180 and 200 degrees correct? Also with this type of install....2 questions

1. Will this cause a large pressure drop?
2. Im guessing i should somehow "prime" the cooler and lines beforehand?- thinking just fill up to the best that i can, run for a while and then get the oil level back to full? Does this crossflow like 10% through even at startup or is it an on/off only type thing?

I think the 180 thermostat it comes with is OK. There is possibly some flow through the cooler when the thermostat is closed but it doesn't seem to be enough to cause the oil to not warm up in a short time.

I've done a couple of these and didn't notice any pressure drop to speak of.

All I ever did the first time was fill the filter up and start the engine. Once the lines are full it shouldn't be problem again provided they are below the filter adapter level so they don't drain when you shut the engine down. You will have to top up the oil level though.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
I like the oil/water cooler on my 4Runner.

The coolant gets up to temp really quickly, and drags the oil temp up with it. The coolant then controls the temp of the oil to stay roughly around coolant temp.

I hate the idea of external oil lines and miles of plumbing on anything that will be started 2-3 times per day.

I'm not fond of external lines either but what to do if you want a cooler? If you keep the lines below the level of the engine mounted filter adapter they don't drain when you shut down so startups shouldn't be too much of a problem.

GM and Ford have done this same thing for years on their trucks with factory mounted radiator type oil coolers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back