Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does operating an engine at high speed interstate travel consume more oil than puttering around the city/suburban use?

It depends. Some it goes down. Some it goes up. I've noted no difference in my vehicles over a LTR with them. (near) Zero is zero.

One would also have to be conscious of if the consumption is linear or accelerating as the OCI progressed. That would require a decent bout of recurring high speed driving to figure out.

mine does! If I travel at 75-80 mph for 5 hours, it will consume more oil than those 5 hours of city driving.

Gary, you said:

"One would also have to be conscious of if the consumption is linear or accelerating as the OCI progressed."

My car is like that. It consumes 0.5 qt the first 3,5k miles and after it uses 1 qt for 2,5k miles and after a while, its 1 qt per 1,5k miles. Its always like that but only with M1 5w30. When I tried PP, it was 1 qt per 2,5k miles linear.

I have to say that my car starts early in the morning and stops late at night. In between, there's about 20 cranking and I drive about 100-300 miles a day.

Last edited:
Then there's some fatigued component in M1 that volatilizes that is not present in PP ..or so I would reason. I guess I could state that as "your service fatigues some component of M1 that PP appears unaffected by".

If it's the Crown Vic, that's normal. I imagine if you tweaked the PCV system with the proprietary "No touch fail safe Gary Allan oil retention de-velocity chamber" ..that consumption would go away. They were about to add it to the CVPI and taxis to compliment the fail safe cooling system, but the stinking bean counters red lined it ..then the chassis was discontinued. So much for another better idea..
frown.gif
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
If it's the Crown Vic, that's normal. I imagine if you tweaked the PCV system with the proprietary "No touch fail safe Gary Allan oil retention de-velocity chamber" ..that consumption would go away. They were about to add it to the CVPI and taxis to compliment the fail safe cooling system, but the stinking bean counters red lined it ..then the chassis was discontinued. So much for another better idea..
frown.gif
21.gif

Got any pics of this proprietary system Gary?
20.gif

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back