Oil consumption while using RP 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 127K mile `96 Ford Contour with a 2.0L Zetec. It has been on Mobil 1 since I bought it at 77K.

One of my co-workers was telling me about RP and how good it was. Since I am only somewhat brand loyal, I decided to give it a try on my next change. Well, that change was 3000 ago and I am up for my first filter change, per the RP salesman. Pulling the dipstick, I noticed that for the first time ever, I have actually consumed about a half quart of oil.

It was enough to make me wonder, but not be too worried. One half of a quart at 3000K isnt the end of the world, I just wondered why the RP escaped and the Mobil 1 never did. Anyone have any ideas?

-Jon

Other members have complained about using oil when switching brands. Give it another run, and if the consumption doesn't stop, then choose something else.

Oil consumption in an engine can be somewhat complex. RP Shears down fairly rapidly for a synthetic oil so it might be thinning out and getting past the rings.

Or, it could be that the RP is freeing up the rings and consumption may stabilize after a while.

Probably other theories as well. hard to say.
dunno.gif

I would have stuck with the Mobil 1.

--- Bror Jace

Agreed...switching brands can cause some consumption due to differences in addative packages and their respective cleaning abilities. Either stick in there for a couple more intervals to see if it improves/stabilizes or switch back.

Otherwise, RP's claim of increased HP may in fact come from being thinner than other oils. Anyone know if this is true?

I was planning on staying with it until at least 6K. Blackstone told me in the last UOA that I could go longer. I am planning on having it sampled at 6 just to make me feel better about doing an extended drain.

If the test doesnt show as good at the 5w30 Mobil 1 that I had done a few months back, I will go back to Mobil. Probably give the old girl an ARX cleaning at that time too.

-Jon

I just don't understand why you would change from something that is working well, a recognized synthetic and no problems with it. I would have stayed with the M 1

quote:

Originally posted by ExDelayed:
If the test doesnt show as good at the 5w30 Mobil 1 that I had done a few months back, I will go back to Mobil. Probably give the old girl an ARX cleaning at that time too.

-Jon

IMO it sounds like either one is working for you. Get the tests back and decide. BUT, IMO you will need several OCI's or at the minimum Samples to see for real, what this oil is doing. IMO, you can not judge 100.00% by one OCI/UOA.
Either one sounds like it would be fine. As for me I am not too concerned with burning per se as much as wear. If the WEAR will drop because of this oil and the burn go up... I'll side with a tad bit of burn issue than wear, but that's just me!
CHEERS~!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back