Oil Consumption..Trying Some Pennzoil HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using Valvoline Nextgen in the Blazer all summer up until a month ago. Then I switched to Pennzoil Platinum and I've had to add a half a quart every 300-400 miles.... so with almost 200K miles I'm going to try some HM oil. Hope it works.

Pennzoil hm works well in my sons saturn. I'm using the nextgen maxlife only because i bought about 15 5 quart jugs for $5 each back when they were on sale.

I'm currently trying Pennz HM as well in my Corolla. So far so good; consumption has gone from a quart every 1000 to a quart every 1500. Nothing spectacular, but hey, it seems to be working. Although I do have a quart of Rislone in there as well to try and clean out the oil rings.

I also started using Pennz HM in my mom's Impala that uses a quart about every 2.5K. Will report back the results.

I have an 01 Escape with 207k that leaks from the timing chain cover. HM oil helped some. My mechanic recommended putting some Lucas in it. Everyone here hates Lucas but it dropped the leakage way back.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I have an 01 Escape with 207k that leaks from the timing chain cover. HM oil helped some. My mechanic recommended putting some Lucas in it. Everyone here hates Lucas but it dropped the leakage way back.

It also dropped your add pack of the oil way back , and the cold start lubrication delayed as well. That stuff is thick, with out additives, it dilutes the addpack/antiwear/detergents in the oil.

Rather than Lucas, how about Liqui-Moly Oil Saver? German product, great reputation, liked here. Or, try mixing in a quart of RedLine motor oil with your next change: it's an ester oil and esters swell seals a bit.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

It also dropped your add pack of the oil way back , and the cold start lubrication delayed as well. That stuff is thick, with out additives, it dilutes the addpack/antiwear/detergents in the oil.

I would add Schaeffers #132 before i'd ever use lucas

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Then I switched to Pennzoil Platinum and I've had to add a half a quart every 300-400 miles.... so with almost 200K miles I'm going to try some HM oil. Hope it works.

You need to clean the engine and free oil passages. Use MMO and/or Seafoam and, please, get rid of synthetic. This is just waste of your money and obtaining a gallon of highest quality headache...

I Just noticed that the Nextgen I was using was HM. Maybe I'll stick with that from now on.

@ Warstud - I agree - if it works , stick with it.

Previous to current oil change I used Amsoil OE Synthetic oil on my Vibe - it consumed about 1 qt per 2k miles.
I went back to conventional - Formula Shell 5w-30 (first time using it) with 200ml of Liqui-Moly MOS2 - it's only used 1/4 quart in the past 2k miles.
I was thinking of using a HM oil , but what I'm doing right now seems to work just fine.

Last edited:

Which Lucas? Wife's is leaking from probably the same spot. Tried Pennzoil HM 5w30 and that helped a little. Only need to stop the leak until the summer and then I'll either fix it or she will trade it. It's a bear of a job and one I'm not looking forward to so I'm up to try additaves.

Of course it did. You thickens the oil in a significant way. You thickened the oil and diluted that additive package. So you weakened the oil and worsened cold pumpability.
If you want thicker oil try a 50 grade. Because basically that's what you've got,except a 50 grade will have its additive package undiluted,unlike what's in your sump now.

dont use phm in the cold winter in the summer its great in the cold its too thick if you dont believe me put a cup of it in the freezer over night

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Of course it did. You thickens the oil in a significant way. You thickened the oil and diluted that additive package. So you weakened the oil and worsened cold pumpability.

I'll go out on a limb here and say at 207k it really doesn't matter. While it may make 220, 250, 300k, who knows. It's certainly proved its worth.

Quote:
If you want thicker oil try a 50 grade. Because basically that's what you've got,except a 50 grade will have its additive package undiluted,unlike what's in your sump now.

The Duratec 3.0 holds 6 qts (at least the wife's 03 does). From what I've gathered, Lucas is a 60 weight oil and you replace 1 qt with it:
30+30+30+30+30+60 = 210 / 6 = 35

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
dont use phm in the cold winter in the summer its great in the cold its too thick if you dont believe me put a cup of it in the freezer over night

I have PHM 5w20 in right and had no problems at 10F. Your opinion is completely dependent on the viscosity.

The taurus burned Maxlife but I'm 2500mi into this oci and no consumption.

Well....I've had the Pennzoil HM in there for about 1000 miles now and the dipstick still reads full. Definately has helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back