Oil consumption even with high mileage oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I just made the 75k mark on my 04 impala and I realized that though the past two pull change cycles I was still using half a quart every 1500 miles or so.

So what is the benefit if I'm not leaking oil of spending more for HM oil?

Who came up with needing it to start being used at 75k miles? What study or evidence was that based on?

And can I go back to regular Dino without problems?

First before you start throwing money at a problem look for a reason. If it's going out the tail pipe look to see if you have a clogged PVC valve. Another issue with using conventional oil and this also applies with Synthetic oils is stuck coked up oil rings causing blow by. If you have some miles on the car it's cheap to do a BG 109 EPR oil flush on the engine before you're next oil change. See if you local dealer will sell you a can or you can hit Amazon or Ebay for the product. They don't sell BG product at your local parts store.

BG 109 EPR

75K on a modern engine with a good maintenance history is not even half way through it's intended life.

Not blaming the oil, just wondering if it's really needed. I guess cause they market it as needing to be used at 75k, but nothings different at 75k than when it had 35k.

Half a qt in 1500 miles isn't terrible. Just keep doing what you're doing with HM oils but try Maxlife 10w40 or Pennzoil HM 10w40, the price difference over regular conventional is pennies. Checking and replacing your PCV cant hurt.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
I guess cause they market it as needing to be used at 75k,

What company states that HM oil needs to be used at 75k miles? If they state it that way then could have a serious lawsuit on their hands. Many of the companies state, designed for cars/trucks with over 75k miles which is very different than what you said.

"Protection for engines with over 75,000 miles" is a true statement ... Consumer decided to grab that jug or not ...

12 years old with 75000 miles... italian tune up needed

i would pull a couple of plugs and read them to see whats going on inside of your holes.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX

Who came up with needing it to start being used at 75k miles? What study or evidence was that based on?

You've been here eight years and you don't know this?

Originally Posted By: ALS
First before you start throwing money at a problem look for a reason.

Definitely this. Sure, HM oils will certainly help an aging motor, but your best bet is to fix the source of the problem, not just try to kluge it.

Originally Posted By: ALS
75K on a modern engine with a good maintenance history is not even half way through it's intended life.

Agreed. Realistically, that motor should be able to go at least twice that.. if not 3x. IMHO, this is more likely an issue with stuck rings, or some sort of buildup elsewhere in the engine, like valves, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back