oil coming out intake of V twin Briggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Briggs & Statton Vanguard V twin in my riding lawnmower.. it's old, probably 25yrs. today it's started losing power and blowing black smoke. upon inspection I found oil saturating the air filter. it appears to have flowed out the air intake, although I'm not sure how that's possible? removing the air filter appears to have restored power. it still has oil pressure and does run. any guesses as to what this is?? blown head gasket??

Probably the "crankcase breather check valve" got stuck for a little bit.
It's designed to keep vacuum in the crankcase.

Just don't overfill the oil, ever... & Wash all the excess oil out of the filter and go back to mowing.

The loss of power and black smoke (too rich of mixture) was simply from the air filter plugged. These engines all run their crankcase blowby into the carb. How often do you service the air filter? Excessive blowby and oil usually is an indicator of worn rings or possibly a small hole in the piston (unlikely). Haven't been into the Vanguards, but most small engines have a sort of diaghram/baffel that catches the engine oil and returns it to the engine before it gets into the breather tube. Sometimes these get plugged up not allowing the oil to return. Look for where the breather tube exits the crankcase and see it there is something that can be unbolted at the breather tube exit. If there is, remove it and clean it out. Then, try disconnecting the breather tube where it goes into the carb and see if there is actuallyexcessive blowby and oil blowing out. If there is, the engine may be getting real tired. Also, did you accidently overfill the oil? That would sure cause this problem. Last, if the engine is just getting tired, might try increasing oil viscosity. I have used 15W-40 mixed fleet diesel oil like Shell Rotella T in my small engines for decades and they love it. Never an oil related problem. After you get everything cleaned up and maybe upgrading oil, just try running it and see if problem repeats. Hope this helps......

Those Vanguards are very good motors. Possibly Briggs best ever.
They often puff a little smoke at startup but normally last forever and run very strong. Not sure what the problem can be but others have offered possible solutions and I highly doubt it is very serious. I would do what I could within reason to keep that motor running. Most newer motors are not in same league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back