Oil color

last time I added PYB, it appeared dark out of the bottle while supertech (other vehicle/changes) appeared very light. I am going to do another oil change tomorrow and will see what shade it is...just seemed a lot darker than before---anyone notice this? what is causing this?

Different oils have different colors. It's fine. Probably another formula change by the manufacturer or you just poured in some used oil someone returned to Wally's as unopened. :)

Additive packages can affect the color of oil. It appears that some base stockes are almost 'clear' colored. SuperTech synthetic is nearly clear.

I noticed the Amsoil ASM I just used was extremely clean/clear looking compared to other oils I've used for years. It was so clean looking it was hard to see on the dipstick.

I was surprised at how different four brands of similar oils looked and smelled. I wanted a non-smelly to rebuild a fishing reel, so I was taking a close look and comparing items in my stash.

I had the same problem with RLI Bio-Syn 0w-30. Out of the bottle, it was so clear-looking, it was difficult to see on the dipstick. But over a little time, the oil gradually darkened--I guess it was cleaning the engine, although I hope there isn't much to clean out of a 3-year-old Toyota engine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I noticed the Amsoil ASM I just used was extremely clean/clear looking compared to other oils I've used for years. It was so clean looking it was hard to see on the dipstick.
My Amsoil ASL 5W-30 is fairly dark in color, like a medium brown. It's darker than anything I've used.

I have always noticed how the cheaper house brand oils are very light (almost like non-detergent oil looks), and the name brand oils are darker usually. I always figued this was due to more/superior additives

Molecule posted a quiz once, What is the most expensive ingredient (by weight) in motor oil? ..... A: the dye

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
 Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My Amsoil ASL 5W-30 is fairly dark in color, like a medium brown. It's darker than anything I've used.
I'm using the ASM, maybe there is a difference in color. I would expect mine to darken shortly. I only have 200 miles on it so I won't be checking it for another 300 or so miles.

Originally Posted By: jmac
Molecule posted a quiz once, What is the most expensive ingredient (by weight) in motor oil? ..... A: the dye
No wonder Royal Purple costs so much!

If it turns dark, opaque, smutty black within a hundred miles or so, and it's NOT a diesel, then worry about it. If not, enjoy (or find something else to worry about).