Oil Color with newly Installed Mobil 10W-30 HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my car (200k mile Civic) in for the snow tire change and an overdue oil change (5500 miles on dino). The oil I checked a week before was quite dark (Mobil 10W-30 HD). Anyway the newly installed oil (also Mobil 10W-30HD) is also pretty darkish already, typically clear gold for first 1000-2000 miles when I noticed. I have only driven approx 200 miles. Does this mean anything or is it just particular to the oil?

Probably has no bearing on your results but a hot oil will be considerably lighter in color then one that has sat overnight. Checked the old oil when hot and the new one when cold could be misleading on the color side.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Probably has no bearing on your results but a hot oil will be considerably lighter in color then one that has sat overnight. Checked the old oil when hot and the new one when cold could be misleading on the color side.

Actually recently I did check the oil stone cold (ie 20 degrees out and not run for a few days) both times. I did peek at the filter and it was shiny blue AC Delco, not salty so it looks changed. The garage is very reputable and owner too honest but anyone can make a mistake.

In my experience with M1, it is initially so light in color that it is actually hard to check it...!

It does darken up over time, but usually 1000 or more miles.

Did they actually change it ... which is why I always do it myself...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back