Oil color immediately after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: thehothit
Thanks very much for all of the replies. I'm going to drain whatever oil is in there and will fill up with fresh Pennzoil Platinum.

I would not. Your Kia will do just fine with ANY 5w-30 oil for many thousands of miles.

They changed the filter so we KNOW that. As far as what oil used? PP is sorta dark as it comes out (darker than Pennzoil YB) but REALLY, it does not matter.

I change my own oil as I want to know that it was done right. Any oil used is better than what came out so rest easy and get on with it.

No need to WASTE the oil and filter that was paid for.

Take care, Bill

PS: COLOR does not matter when trying to figure out how "spent" or how "well" the oil is doing. I WISH everyone would get this straight....
06.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

PS: COLOR does not matter when trying to figure out how "spent" or how "well" the oil is doing. I WISH everyone would get this straight....
06.gif

Can oil as black as coal be as good as a golden honey colored oil?

As a follow up to my original post:

I had the oil drained and refilled with PP 5W-20 by a mechanic that I trust. The oil that came out looked like it had been in use for several thousand miles. It was very dark brown and looked just like the stuff that had been sampled when the dealer "changed" the oil on Friday. I realize that oil color has no relation to how spent it is.

The oil that was put in yesterday looks much cleaner!!! I am happier. The mechanic also found a minor power steering hose leak - so that'll be fixed under warranty at another dealer.

I will probably change the oil myself next time. I'll buy some ramps and a strap wrench. My driveway was ruined a few years ago by a leaky old Town Car, so I'll change the oil over the same spot!

Thanks to all of you for your advice - I really appreciate it.

Glad you had the job done correctly now. My bet is the dealer changed the filter, topped it off, and took your oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Did you actually watch them change the oil and add your oil? Did he leave the empty container in your trunk? Not all shops are honest. Its possible your jug of 5W30 PP ended up taking a hike, and they filled your car with bulk oil of a slightly different color. Sadly this happens a lot at dealerships.

My sister took her 07 Camry in for a oil change when it was 6 months old and 4K miles. After she got home I went over to her house to check it to make sure everything was OK. Turns out the oil was the same dirty color it was when it went in. She took it to another dealer [I went this time] I watched them do it. The oil was nice and clear upon return. Its a shame dealers do this new car customers. The Toyota dealer that did this was in Deerfield Beach Fla. What a bunch of jerks. She made complaints to the main office of Toyota and the dealer and it all fell on deaf ears. The dealer said they couldn't investigate it. She got so [censored] she traded it in on a Grand Marquis about a month later. She likes the Grand Marquis allot better so it worked out well for her.

Never ever leave the dealer or anywhere after a oil change without pulling the hood and checking the oil. Threw the years my Ford has been underfilled,overfilled and the oil cap came up missing one time. I figure they were side tracked while they were changing the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back