Oil color immediately after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I took my 2006 Kia Sedona into the dealer yesterday for an oil and filter change (and to take an oil sample for analysis). I took in my own Pennzoil Plat. 5W-30. They gave me a really hard time - saying that it was the wrong oil and I should have brought in 5W-20. I told them to use it (the owner's manual specifies 5W-20 or 5W-30).

When I got home, I checked the oil level with the dip stick and noticed that it wasn't that golden yellowish color, but it had a slight brown tinge to it (as if it had been in for 500-600 miles). Does this sound normal to you?

I had about 6190 miles on the oil (the vehicle has 38000 miles on it). My previous Blackstone Labs Oil Analyses were good (apart from decreasing amounts of higher than usual silicon from a timing chain tensioner repair).

Many Thanks!

This is why so many of us dislike having someone else change our oil. It seems like they either make a mistake of some kind, or do something to play with you a bit. Just the fact that they would give you a hard time about bringing your oil oil would tick me off
frown.gif

I've never even opened a bottle of PP, so I can't tell you what color it's supposed to be, but I'm sure someone will be along that can.

My guess is they didnt let old oil drain out fully. Not a big deal IMHO..Ray

Did you actually watch them change the oil and add your oil? Did he leave the empty container in your trunk? Not all shops are honest. Its possible your jug of 5W30 PP ended up taking a hike, and they filled your car with bulk oil of a slightly different color. Sadly this happens a lot at dealerships.

It's been 15 years since I allowed a quickie lube or someone other than myself to change my oil. The one exception were mechanics and that I have known and trusted since I was a kid, and I still watched them do it and even helped. I only did this because it was just way too cold outside to get under it myself...

If the previous oil was a bit dark, which is ok BTW, there is enough oil left behind in the engine after oil is drained completely, that it could add some darker color to the new oil rather quickly. Also, remember if there was darker "stuff" being left here and there from a longer interval, then new oil (especially PP) will dissolve that soft stuff on the first hot run. I saw this in my sister's Pontiac minivan 3.4L in FL. She went 18k miles/one year on Amsoil 10W-30 ATM and it was really dark everywhere I could see through the oil fill hole into the valve spring area. The oil and filter got changed with the same stuff, and the next day, after she drove it some, I looked in there again and found everything looking spotless in the same valve spring area. The new oil had darkened some already as well.

I have seen twice working in larger shop years ago where special customer oil got swapped with whatever oil during oil changes so thief/mechanic could take the $$ oil home for himself. Beware! The guy did not last long there. His true character became obvious as tools came up missing around the shop.

Personally, if I have a vehicle under warranty that I take for an oil change a dealer, I ask the technician to let me know when the old oil is drained. I usually have some sort of excuse like "it looks really black" or whatever and keep a conversation going as if I'm asking him for advice. Then I keep myself 'occupied' until he installs a new filter and the drain bolt. If he attempts to use an oil other than what I have supplied, I 'remind' him.

I've seen way too many cases of not returning the old bottles, or draining the bottles and returning them empty, whilst using their own oil in the slump.

That said, is this the first time you use PP 5W-30? I ask because I did an oil an oil change on a friend's '08 Grand Marquis not too long ago and we used PP 5W-30 (Ford's recommendation for this vehicle is 10W-30 in the Middle East) for the first time. About 200 km (125 miles) into the oil change, the oil had a darker shade to it. Not very dark, but sort of darkish gold or light brown. Does this sound about the same?

Thanks for your replies. I didn't actually watch the mechanic fill it with my oil. I supplied 5 1/2 qts and there was no empty container in my van when done. I really don't like going to this dealership - I don't think I'm going to go there again - the service manager is horrible!

Falcon_LS - I've used 5W-30 for a lot of the fills in this van - the engine runs a little quieter with it. With summer coming up and some long distance driving to do - I like using a slightly heavier weight oil. The color sounds the same - but it always stayed golden yellow for the 1st few hundred miles or so.

What I forgot to mention was that there was small patch of dark brown oil (it looked like used oil) under the oil filler cap, resting on a horizontal part of the small inlet area above the crankcase. Is this indicative of something?

This may be a really stupid question, but do you think that I should drain this oil and fill it up with fresh oil again?

Many Thanks!!

Good point about the mechanic bmwtechguy. It is not usually the shop that is bad but the individual mechanic himself, these product swaps happen a lot. Especially when someone comes in with a quality synthetic oil like PP and then leaves the car.

Being born in Brooklyn and living in NY my whole life I don't trust many people. That is why I do most if not all the work myself. It takes me a long time to trust someone, and even then I spot check.

Originally Posted By: thehothit
This may be a really stupid question, but do you think that I should drain this oil and fill it up with fresh oil again?

If it makes you feel better, that would be the best way forward. Do it yourself, or take it to a reputable shop and watch them change the oil. At least that way, you'll get peace of mind. Only downside is cost.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Good point about the mechanic bmwtechguy. It is not usually the shop that is bad but the individual mechanic himself, these product swaps happen a lot. Especially when someone comes in with a quality synthetic oil like PP and then leaves the car.

Being born in Brooklyn and living in NY my whole life I don't trust many people. That is why I do most if not all the work myself. It takes me a long time to trust someone, and even then I spot check.

Wow time t leave that neighborhood. I never worked in a place where that happened. Heck we were MORE than happy to install a customer supplied synthetic. One time the writer forgot to inform me of that (Not on RO) and I immediately drained the sump and changed the filter for a second new one and refilled with our apologies. Sucked to do it twice but got to make the customer happy. Still was not but at least it was right at that point.

Steal and Get FIRED!!!

well if they gave you a hard time about bringing your own oil, I'd say their is a 50% chance they filled with their bulk.

Check to see that the filter got changed!

For $20, the cost of another 5qt of PP, I'd be inclined to drain whatever oil they inflicted on you. Save it for a lawn mower or something. Temporarily remove the filter and drain it too.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

If it makes you feel better, that would be the best way forward. Do it yourself, or take it to a reputable shop and watch them change the oil. At least that way, you'll get peace of mind. Only downside is cost.

I can watch the Wal-Mart TLE techs change my oil, and "remind" them if they're making any mistakes...
whistle.gif

Not that anyone on BITOG brings their vehicle to Wally World.
grin2.gif

Thanks very much for all of the replies. I'm going to drain whatever oil is in there and will fill up with fresh Pennzoil Platinum.

Thanks very much for all of the replies. I'm going to drain whatever oil is in there and will fill up with fresh Pennzoil Platinum.

Drive to the store(to get the oil warmed up), grab a pack of Sam Adams, head home, drain oil, have a couple (so you KNOW all the old poo-oil is out), and then finsh the change.

Nothing beats piece of mind.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

Drive to the store(to get the oil warmed up), grab a pack of Sam Adams, head home, drain oil, have a couple (so you KNOW all the old poo-oil is out), and then finsh the change.

Nothing beats piece of mind.

+1, and next time watch them if you decide to bring your own oil and filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back