OIL CHQANGE INDICATOR IS AGGRESSIVELY SHORT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2600 miles and 4 months on my OCI in the 2008 Wrangler and Bing!! The CHaNGE OIL light comes on. Either this thing is seriously screwed up and needs a reflash of the OCI(oil change indicator) or it actually counts revolutions and has taken into account the many hours and miles in 4 lo travleing pulling 3k rpm and less than 10 mph. (usually 3mph) or less on obstacles.

So the Current fill is QS Green bottle 5w20. It gets a few short trips but usually it gets 20 to 100 miles or more per day that I start it. When Wheeling it never gets cold but I shut it down and restart several times a day while offroad. ( I like to use the manual tranny as a brake on hills as well as the e brake for safety.) about 1/3 of the miles in this interval are offraod mostly in 4 lo.

Oil appears in good shape, amber and only slightly darker than new that pf course means little. I am going to uoa this oil to see what the engines health is like and see if the air filtration is working in the dust it is exposed to.. With this short an indicated OCI with my use I see no reason to TBN it.

So Do I change it now or let it roll to the six month mark?

Last edited:
I would be realy surprised if it didn't count combustion events. Otherwise it's just an odometer. OLMs have been around for some time now, and I'd be surprised if Jeeps didn't use as sophisticated an alogorythm as the othe manufacturers.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a BITOG'er complaining of a OLM recommending an oil change too soon, which is refreshing.

Why not wait till the UOA comes back and see?

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I will probably channgfe anyway. I hate cracking the drain plug twice.

Fumoto has made my life much easier, not sure you have clearance/room on your rig for it. I'm considering one for my AT as well, not sure of the thread size though.

I plan on installing one on the Ford Explorer but the jeep....no. If yoiu saw the underside of my jeep and that anything that protrudes farther than it needs to gets "corrected" by the terrain I travel over.

Last edited:
Well, I guesse my oil is about shot then. I can't offroad for a full 5-6k on one fill according to this alogorythm. so goes it.

Now... I got a bunch of sale oil to burn up... I got these on sale so they are not the exact grade I prefer...

The question.. I have one change of quaker state torque power 10w30 and to changes of NAPA synthetic 5w30 as soon as these are gone I am going back to 5w20 but that won' be many miles!

Which one first?

From a Jeep Patriot site.

from '08 fsm:

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE - NAFTA - KOREAN GAS
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

On Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) equipped vehicles, ?Oil Change Required? will be displayed in the EVIC and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.

On Non-EVIC equipped vehicles, ?Change Oil? will flash in the instrument cluster odometer and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.

Based on engine operation condition, the oil change indicator message will illuminate; this means that service is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 mi (805 km).

NOTE:
The oil change indicator message will not monitor the time since the last oil change. Change your vehicles oil if it has been six months since your last oil change and even if the oil change indicator message is NOT illuminated.
Change your engine oil more often if you drive your vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 mi (10 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.

Your authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change. If this scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than your authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described below.

OIL CHANGE INDICATOR - RESET
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The ?Oil Change Required? message will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.

Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the Menu button. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) perform the following procedure:

Turn the ignition switch to the ?ON? position (Do not start the engine).
Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
Turn the ignition switch to the ?LOCK? position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

It may count the 'miles or rpms' while in 4WD or low range at double rate; with both ingaged it'll spin like a slot machine.
Just a possiblity; check with the service manager about this; he may know why it want you to change at such low miles.

Sounds to me like an hour meter over miles indicator with a rev counter somewhere in the mix. That would be about the next best thing to the GM OLM (but a distant 2nd) It would basically be the way Ford coped with high idle times with the CVPI.

First people wondered if OLM's were worth following at all.

Then people complained that OLM's went too long between OCI's.

Then, they went too long between OCI's AND didn't take consumption into account.

NOW, OLM's go too SHORT between OCI's, and people don't want to follow them!

Are we EVER going to be happy on this site?!?!

Geeezzz........

Wow, that is surprisgly short. I was going to post my TL results today too. The thing would take me to nearly 10,000 miles when I commuted 180 miles a day. This is the first OCI that I've had where there's no freeway miles, just the 1.5 mile drive to work and back, I'm barely breaking 3,500 miles at 20% on the OLM. What a drastic difference.

How long were your previous OCIs without the 4 wheeling?

On my Mom's Compass, the first OCI light came on at 2500. I have heard it will recommend shorter intervals for the first 10-12k for break-in on the Jeeps. Then it will increase the calculated OCI.

But on my steddad's Liberty, the light comes on every 6k and doesn't use an OLM to determine the interval (I think).

I have been 4 wheeling this thing since I bought it with 2500 miles on the clock. Never have gotten above 3k on the OCI. I think there may be issues with the unit, I will let the UOA determine if it is appropriate or if I need to take it in to the dealer to get an update. The Jeep has 13.3k on it

Last edited:
BuickGN's experience and Bryan's experience make me trust OLMs MORE rather than less. Seems like they're doing their jobs!

I have a 2009 ram with the hemi. It's OLM suggested a change at 2500 miles for the first change. I had 850 miles of towing 6000 lbs on that oil. The truck now has 5600 miles on it and it is asking me to change the oil again. This time is has 3000 miles on it. The current oil has 750 miles of towing 6000lbs. I'll change it this weekend but it's disappointing because i had 7 quarts of full synthetic in there.

Originally Posted By: wenied
I have a 2009 ram with the hemi. It's OLM suggested a change at 2500 miles for the first change. I had 850 miles of towing 6000 lbs on that oil. The truck now has 5600 miles on it and it is asking me to change the oil again. This time is has 3000 miles on it. The current oil has 750 miles of towing 6000lbs. I'll change it this weekend but it's disappointing because i had 7 quarts of full synthetic in there.

I was going to bring this up as well. Looks like Chrysler has set the OLM's in 08+ vehicles to kick on at 2500 miles. My 08 HEMI Ram kicked on right at 2500 and I had done nothing but easy highway mileage. Everyone I have spoken to says they kick on at or near 2500 for that 1st OC. Some people seem to have it kick on at 5000 and then 7500 as well before they start to lengthen out once 7500-10K are hit.

Pre set from the factory to ensure early OC's during break in is my best guess. On my truck I had already done an OC around 1500 miles to remove the FF so when the OLM kicked on at 2500 I just reset it and kept on going. I did an OC at 4890 miles and reset the OLM( it had not tripped yet ). I am now at 8100 and it has not kicked on yet so 3210 miles.

It is interesting to note that driviing conditions during this 3000+ miles have been much rougher including a lot more city, idle time, and also towing yet the OLM has not tripped. Again, the 2500 is a pre set thing from the factory and it seems hit or miss as to whether or not it continues on that 2500 mile cycle for a few changes or not. Your OLM may stay with 2500 mile intervals for a few OC's but it will( should )lengthen out eventually.

Keep in mind however that Chrysler also allows for 6 months/6000 mile OCI's in the owner's manuals( this is a cross brand thing for all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep models from what I have seen ). If the OLM kicks on at 2500 just reset it and run up to 6 months or 6K.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back