Oil choices / rec for Audi RS5 & Lamborghini

Trying to figure out what to do with the oil for a newly purchased Audi RS5.

it’s a boosty little 2.9L biturbo V6 , factory spec is VW 504 / 0W-30.

problem is castrol edge professional long life 3 euro - gold bottle , literally the only oil that meets this spec is Sold out everywhere Nor do I want to stock another oil..

I have around 100 quarts of Castrol edge 0w-30 made in Belgium , it’s API SL , which I never understood as its fresh inventory from Amazon also , but the acea and MB approvals on it far exceed SL,SN,SP so I don’t really pay attention to this, I use this oil in the lamborghinis and they run well , they are naturally aspirated.

I would use this in the RS5 but I have concerns for LSPI as it’s fairly heavy on calcium and not a SP oil.

I also have a ton of redline 5w30 blue bottle but same concern for lspi.

I have a good amount of penn platinum 5w30 API SP for the raptors 3.5 TT , should I just fill the Audi with this and call it ok.

I’m torn between the penn plat SP and made in Belgium Castrol edge 0w30 api SL

any thoughts?

Last edited:
nooooooooo the full saps boogeyman will sneak into your intake valves and clog them up
All of these motors have port fuel injection along with direct. The RS5 does have a gasoline particle filter (yuck). I’d rather have a little catalytic degradation than risk more engine wear from reduced zinc / phosphor oils

All of these motors have port fuel injection along with direct. The RS5 does have a gasoline particle filter (yuck). I’d rather have a little catalytic degradation than risk more engine wear from reduced zinc / phosphor oils
If this has a GPF, I'd stick with the VW recommended oil, if it's anything like a DPF you don't wanna be putting high SAPS lubricants in your car.

It's not 0W30 but I'd go with Edge LL 5W30, it's only $24/jug on walmart.com and it's VW 504/507, in Indiana the difference between 0w30 and 5w30 will never be noticed and I'd think the 504/507 cert is more important than the exact winter viscosity.

Don't use the Platinum! Way too thin doesn't even meet any Euro specs.

The Castrol 0w30 should work fine but as noted is full saps. VW 504 is not hard to find, you can even get it from the dealer for 6 bucks a quart if you can't find it elsewhere but it's at Napa for one.

Need pics of the car! :p

Don't use the Platinum! Way too thin doesn't even meet any Euro specs.

The Castrol 0w30 should work fine but as noted is full saps. VW 504 is not hard to find, you can even get it from the dealer for 6 bucks a quart if you can't find it elsewhere but it's at Napa for one.

Need pics of the car! :p
Interesting note about the platinum, probably not ideal if it’s thin as the car is also tuned running 30 psi boost…..

pics here you go

Attachments

• 02E002EA-F102-4367-9C4A-293EFD369A3B.jpeg
    02E002EA-F102-4367-9C4A-293EFD369A3B.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 81
  • 06FABE5F-E805-4CA1-B647-6694DD1327EB.jpeg
    06FABE5F-E805-4CA1-B647-6694DD1327EB.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 84
I’d rather have a little catalytic degradation than risk more engine wear from reduced zinc / phosphor oils

You won't risk anything if you use what's approved by the manufacturer. There's no
downside using the recommended (mid-SAPS/C3) VW 504 00 oil. VW did have their
fails, but their VW 504 00 approval is definitely not one of them.
Btw, couldn't it be a risk using 0W-30 in Lamborghinis? Does Lamborghinis actually
spec VW 504 00 (Porsche C30) for both Huracan and Aventador?

LATEST OFFICIAL VOLKSWAGEN 504 00 / 507 00 APPROVAL LIST:

If Audi specs VW 511 00 oil alternatively, which is the sister approval of Porsche C40,

LATEST OFFICIAL VOLKSWAGEN 511 00 APPROVAL LIST:

Jimmy suggested using Mobil1 ESP 5W-30. I agree on that recommendation.

OP, you have a European vehicle subforum here where you can get more answers and have numerous info to search.
First of all, does your Audi have GPF, if it does, forget Castrol Edge 0W30. If it does not have GPF, use with confidence (API SL is bcs. phosphorous levels far exceed what API prescribes for SM, SN, SN+, and SP for XW30 oils, but in reality, it is irrelevant for this oil). If you are under warranty I would skip this oil. If not, go ahead unless you have GPF.
If GPF is present, you MUST go VW504.00/507.00 oil. Castrol that you mentioned is not the only one that is approved, literally, dozens of oils are available:
Motul 5W30 X-Clean+
Mobil1 ESP 5W30
Mobil1 ESP 0W30
Pennzoil Platinum LX 0W30
etc. etc.
In your local VW dealership, you can also find VW branded (Mobil1 makes it) VW 504.00/507.00 0W30.

My choice would be Motul 5W30 X-Clean+, Mobil1 ESP 5W30. Those two. Mobil1 ESP 5W30 you can find on sale at NAPA sometimes or Mobil1 ESP 0W30.
Do not go Redline Performance if you are under warranty. Redline is more track oil, and short OCI's are desirable. If GPF present, forget Redline 5W30 Performance. You must go Redline Performance Euro.

Back