Oil Choice Solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While under warranty:

Find a quality oil that is on sale and follow your owners manual for specifications required and OCI and choose an oil that meets those requirements and change accordingly.

Doesn't matter what brand you choose so long as it meets the manufacturers specifications and it's changed on time.

You will keep your warranty and you will have long engine life.

After warranty:

Find a quality oil that is on sale and follow your owners manual for specifications required by your engine and choose a reasonable OCI.

Do a UOA with a TAN/TBN and see how your choice fares in your application and consider extending your OCI based on the numbers and your comfort level and change accordingly.

You will continue to have long engine life...

Brands don't really make the difference, proper OCI's and regular maintenance do... Combine this with a quality filter and you will drive more miles that you probably want to and save a lot of money in the process!

thumbsup2.gif

I thought I would post a simple little post that people can "Stumble on" and find some really easy to read information that will answer 99% of the questions posted on here in last little while.

Everyone feel free to add your suggestions to what I have started, but please keep it simple for our "Newbies"

cheers3.gif
I'm going to bed. it's almost midnight here...

+1 This is common sense maintenance. There is no magic engine oil.
Drive safe and defensevily to make the car last even longer (accidents send many more cars to scrap than engine failures.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
USE THE SEARCH BUTTON PEOPLE.

^^
11.gif

The search feature is actually really easy to use. For example,I was wanting to read up on 20W50 UOA`s. So I went to the UOA forum,went to the search screen and:

Put 20W50 in the "search subject" line,then blanked out the "newer than",and on the "older than",I typed in 1 day. I hit "search" and it pulled up 4 pages of results. I search and read through old posts all the time. It`s the best way to learn and the best way to learn how to navigate the site.

Last edited:
Good job, Stevie!

There's no one "best" oil for everybody. Your oil choice is completely dependent on what you drive and where you are.

So if I use Castrol Edge during the break-in period can I go 10,000 miles? I would search it myself but I figure ya'll will post links for me.

Barkleymut now hides under the bed in preparation for the rotten eggs about to be hurled his way.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
So if I use Castrol Edge during the break-in period can I go 10,000 miles? I would search it myself but I figure ya'll will post links for me.

This is always going to be a matter of opinion (sorry, no magic links other than Castrol link that claims up to 15K miles), but my opinion is that it can go 10,000 miles unless there are some very extreme operating conditions that dictate otherwise. But I would not go past the OCI from the manufacturer if the car is still under warranty.

But make sure you use the appropriate viscosity.

Forgot to mention in my post above... And throw all the marketing claims and fancy commercials out the window where they belong!
smirk2.gif

Stevie, are you suggesting we should use common sense and scientific results and facts instead of taking someones word for something? Especially since that someone stands to profit from us taking his word for it?

Wow you would be a lousy politician.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Stevie, are you suggesting we should use common sense and scientific results and facts instead of taking someones word for something? Especially since that someone stands to profit from us taking his word for it?

Wow you would be a lousy politician.
I would be shot like a well known president because I would work for the people and not for the greater good of someones pockets.
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back