Oil choice for S350d

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s listed on Shell website as compatible.

And 228.51 is listed in the vehicle handbook.

In both cases specifically with a DPF fitted.

Strange that it isn’t on the Mercedes document you have linked to.

Though at the bottom they do have a caveat that’s says the handbook has the more accurate specs.

Those specs are listed as for April 2017, perhaps something has changed as my vehicle is a May 2016.

Last edited:
I suppose the other possibility is that we tend to be US centric here so maybe it's different in your country.

What are the differences between the older specs and the newer ones?

In my limited experience with German cars they always tended to use a xxw40.

Is the move to 0w30 and 5w30 more about fuel economy and emission reduction than engine longevity?

As you suggested a 5w40 is going to be my best bet.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
What are the differences between the older specs and the newer ones?

Is the move to 0w30 and 5w30 more about fuel economy and emission reduction than engine longevity?

This! They got CAFE....we have EU bureaucrats

Originally Posted By: radu
Go for mobil 1 esp 5w30 every 10k kms. Easy to find, 229.51 approved but keep a short OCI.

Wouldn't that oil be good for longer OCIs in this application, a European diesel?
I thought it was a concern in US gasoline applications like mine, I only ran 5kmiles per change with that oil.

Mercedes Service Intervals are some of the longest.

In Europe you don't get a mileage. The service reminder is in Days.

My previous Jag XJL had a 16k Service Interval which I felt was too long so i did an extra oil and filter change at around the 8k mark.

Always used the top spec oil and OE quality oil filters.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Mercedes Service Intervals are some of the longest.

In Europe you don't get a mileage. The service reminder is in Days.

My previous Jag XJL had a 16k Service Interval which I felt was too long so i did an extra oil and filter change at around the 8k mark.

Always used the top spec oil and OE quality oil filters.

What's the spec in England? I thought they were also long in Europe. In the US, there's a quick oil change lube shop on every other street corner and they still put 3 or 5k stickers on the car for the next oil change even when it's synthetic. On the W211, they used to recommended 13k oil changes, but that was too long for most Americans so they shortened it now to 10k.

I think they are the same throughout Western Europe.

Not sure about Eastern Europe, maybe the parts which are EU will be the same.

Mercedes have had long service intervals for a few years from what I have been told, this is the first Mercedes that I have actually been responsible for maintenance.

I have had a poke around the Service menu in the W222 and I can’t see an option to change it to miles

Last week I checked it and it said 165 days till Service B

I shall check again and see what changes and see how it compares to mileage travelled.

The Smart ForFour has a simple mileage countdown, but then the ForFour is half Renault half Smart and Renault have always had a simple mileage countdown, it’s a 0.9 Renault turbo engine and it will be getting a half interval oil and filter change.

But should Inchange the oil and filter at 1000miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back