Oil Choice for Nissan SR20VE

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just picked up a new car and i'm going through the general maintenance on it. the motor is a sr20ve nissan 2.0L. i'm going to be doing a auto-rx on it since i don't know the engine's history (supposedly only 30k miles). and then want to switch over to a good synthetic.

its a high compression (11:1), high strung motor (8300 redline) that uses nissan's neovvl system (like vtec).

i drive it pretty spirited with daily runs to 8000rpm. nissan specs 5w30 oil i believe. and i've read that a really thick oil is bad for hydraulic lifters.

my concern is if i go with a 30wt oil will it handle the high revs. or should i be looking a 40t oil. i've been looking at the usual suspects that i can find in town. what do you guys think?
LubroMoly 5w-40
M1 0w40 or 5w40 tdt
Castrol 5w40 or GC 0w30

If Nissan specifies 5W-30 for your engine, that's what I would use. If you can find German Castrol 0W-30, that would probably work good too, and offer a little more "piece of mind" but personally I'd just run something like Pennzoil Platinum or Havoline, rev it to 8k every day, and just change it at Nissan's severe service interval and I'm pretty confident it would hold up just fine.

0W-30 GC is my vote. Great engine. I have the SR20DE plain jane engine. What is the advertised or Crank HP for that engine?

Nissan engines are virtually indestructable. I pounded the heck out of my 280Z,300ZX turbo,and my current 300XZ na. They all seemed to *like* dino oil. I tried various synths and have now gone back to GTX. Definitely the best out of the bunch. Like Third said,have no fear revving your Nissan`s engine,just keep a good oil in it and keep it changed. I`d use GTX in that car.

On a different note,I`m about 140 miles from Galveston and you wouldn`t believe the wind and rain here. I`ve been watching it all morning (kudos to the $19 Budge car cover from Walmart. It`s actually stayed on! Man I wish I had a garage!). Ike made landfall about 2am in Galveston and is now around the Conroe area. I`ve been watching the weather channel all morning and just now lost the satellite reception. Something totally weird,closet doors INSIDE of my house were blowing open due to the pressure of the wind outside!

I hope all of our fellow BITOG members from the Teaxs coast up through Houston are safe and ok.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
0W-30 GC is my vote. Great engine. I have the SR20DE plain jane engine. What is the advertised or Crank HP for that engine?

this car put down 180hp SAE to the wheels. and it still needs the exhaust (header back) done.

i have thought about staying with dino but my preference would be a synthetic (i'm just picky that way). maybe i'm putting too much into it. i just worried about using an oil and it shears bad due to the revs. that's why i was thinking 40wt. i guess GC would be a compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back