Oil choice for GM LTG 2.0T (2018 Regal TourX)

I went through my oil stash today and realized I don't have 6 quarts of something appropriate for this car, after draining oil from the car of course. I want to stick with something with the Dexos1/G2 in 5w-30 for this time of year. Further into warmer weather, I might explore heavier grades, but not right now.

I have the following on hand:

2 - 6q boxes of 10w-30 Havoline Pro-DS w/ Dex1 G2 rating API SP
1 - 5q jug of 5w-30 Havoline Pro-DS w/ Dex1 G2 rating API SN-Plus (not enough to do a 6-qt change)
large random mishmash of 5qt 5w-30 and 5w-20 non-Dexos approved modern semi-syn jugs that are SN-plus or SP.

I'm hesitant to mix the Dexos approved 5w-30 SN-Plus oil w/ a quart of 10w-30 SP. Any concerns with this?

I've got two modern DI vehicles now and evidently my oil stash is not keeping up; I haven't seen good oil deals in an eternity. What would be the best bang for the buck for full price stuff at Walmart? I know everyone has their brand favorites, but surely there is deal that beats the others. I haven't been to a Walmart in quite some time.

I would use what you have on hand. And Switch over to M1 5w30 and AC Delco PF64 oil filter . try to stay OEM as much as possible IMHO

Do you have a Meijer store near you?...they currently have Mobil 1 oils (in particular Mobil 1 Extended Protection 5W-30 for $26.99 for 5 quarts) for a good price right now

Bill

I'd use the 5W-30 Havoline Pro-Ds and a qt. of the 10W-30 Havoline. Your Opel will never know the difference. My neighbor has one and they are very nice cars.

Opel.jpg

Got myself out of the bind I was in; did everything I could to avoid a Walmart trip on a Sunday, so proceeded to search the whole house. I thought I moved all the oil I had into the new garage, but left some behind in the basement. 2 jugs of QS Advanced Syn 5w-30 SN+ Dex1/G2 on the label were left behind, so I used that.

I cut open the OEM AC-Delco E-core filter and didn't see anything special other than they upgraded to metal end caps. Standard black nitrile ADBV; still a decent looking filter, but I imagine the Wix XP I used (purchased on RA) isn't a downgrade and was less expensive than OEM.

The 10w-30 ProDS I only purchased because it was on clearance @ Walmart for $15 for 6 quarts. It definitely has the Dex/Gen2 logo on it, though GM has no application for 10w30. I plan on using it in my wife's Kia in the summer months, the 6 qt box works out perfect.

In the Buick, I'd like to use a 5w-30 Dexos-approved oil in winter months and try to find a 5w-40 or thickest 5w-30 that meets the appropriate specs for turbo DI engines for use in summer. I'm still of the opinion that thicker is better (within reason) in the hottest summer months. That's already been debated endlessly, so just interested in what thicker oils are available that meets the spec for this engine, or perhaps a 5w-40 substitute that performs similarly to a Dexos1/Gen2+ oil. Especially ones that are on rebate / go on sale routinely / or are a great buy at a local chain like Walmart, etc.

Do you have a Meijer store near you?...they currently have Mobil 1 oils (in particular Mobil 1 Extended Protection 5W-30 for $26.99 for 5 quarts) for a good price right now

Bill
Only Meijers around here are in Louisville, which isn't terribly inconvenient since I work there, but requires getting off the freeway and spending 15+ minutes in traffic, instead of my usual straight jaunt down the freeway to get home.

Last few times I went to Meijer following oil deals on here, the local Meijer didn't have any. They have an oil shelf about the size as the one at Dollar General and about the same selection. I might check one more time as I remember them carrying Mobil1. Thanks for the heads up.

were this mine, I'd stick with 5W-30 full synthetic and probably Mobil 1 either the standard one or the Extra Protection and keep the oil changes at or under 5K...the GF's bought new 2013 Malibu 2.0T (LTG) has had a steady diet of 5W-30 Mobil 1 but for the original fill of Dexos 1 blend (in 2013) and the first oil change I used Quaker State full synthetic...

when found on sale or with a rebate I can usually find Mobil 1 products (now Dexos 1 Generation 3) for the price of even the cheaper full synthetics or at least close enough for me and my pain threshold...that GM dealers use (at least around ChicagoLand) Mobil lubricants and the upset oil is Mobil 1 makes me feel better about Mobil being at least acceptable as my choice for her car (LSPI and turbo)

Bill

were this mine, I'd stick with 5W-30 full synthetic and probably Mobil 1 either the standard one or the Extra Protection and keep the oil changes at or under 5K...

Bill
This ^ is my plan, Mobil1 5w30 EP, for the wife’s new/old 2008 DI 2.0T LNF Pontiac Solstice. (y)

Back