Oil choice for full time fishing guide?

Odd question...this isn't really meant to be another "what oil" thread. I just had a fishing trip with a full time fishing guide and, of course, I brought up motor oil to see what he uses.

1) He drives a 2019 Toyota Tundra w/ 5.7.
2) Oil specs 0w20
3) he tows 30k per year and a 6k pound center console boat is hooked up to the bumper 100% of the time.
4) he uses Castrol Edge (black bottle) 0w20
5) he changes it every 5k miles and gets his tires rotated at the same time.
6) LOTS of idle time and lots of highway miles

so, I realize that many people have favorite brands (me included) but was wanting to start a discussion to see if that severe of a use would alter your oil selection, and if so, what would you use? (for example...he uses Castrol Edge black bottle...would you use something like the Castrol Edge EP gold bottle or would you switch to something else altogether?)

I personally run RGT or TGMO in my Tundra, and would move to one of the more "extended drain" oils (Castrol Edge EP/Mobil 1 EP/Amsoil SS) with that much towing and idling.

just wonder what y'all would do.

I personally run RGT or TGMO in my Tundra, and would move to one of the more "extended drain" oils (Castrol Edge EP/Mobil 1 EP/Amsoil SS) with that much towing and idling.

The "extended drain" oils are unlikely to offer more wear protection. I would be more concerned about the idling time. If he is not tracking this time, and it is significant, he may need to change his oil more often than 5K.

Castrol Edge 0W-20 seems like it it’s working and will likely stay working....

Edit: as a worthless anecdote I’ll just add that I know a guy who treats his Tundra like a 3/4 ton and that thing has 200k on whatever 0W-20 the quick lube places or dealer have in the tank.

I’d go for a 5w30 as well.

This is severe towing. The manual likely specifies to go up a grade too.

Engine oil selection “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity. Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20 SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change. Lubrication system Oil capacity (Drain and refill - reference*) With filter Without filter 8.5 qt. (8.0 L, 7.0 Imp.qt.) 7.9 qt. (7.5 L, 6.6 Imp.qt.) Outside temperature 602 9-1.

Specifications
Oil viscosity (0W-20 is explained here as an example): • The 0W in 0W-20 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather. • The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Engine oil selection “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity. Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20 SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change. Lubrication system Oil capacity (Drain and refill - reference*) With filter Without filter 8.5 qt. (8.0 L, 7.0 Imp.qt.) 7.9 qt. (7.5 L, 6.6 Imp.qt.) Outside temperature 602 9-1.

Specifications
Oil viscosity (0W-20 is explained here as an example): • The 0W in 0W-20 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather. • The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

My mom has a 2015 4Runner that specifically says a grade up can be used if it’s used for towing. I personally use 5w30 since they tow their boat with it on occasion.

Odd a Tundra doesn’t have this.

Odd question...this isn't really meant to be another "what oil" thread. I just had a fishing trip with a full time fishing guide and, of course, I brought up motor oil to see what he uses.

1) He drives a 2019 Toyota Tundra w/ 5.7.
2) Oil specs 0w20
3) he tows 30k per year and a 6k pound center console boat is hooked up to the bumper 100% of the time.
4) he uses Castrol Edge (black bottle) 0w20
5) he changes it every 5k miles and gets his tires rotated at the same time.
6) LOTS of idle time and lots of highway miles

so, I realize that many people have favorite brands (me included) but was wanting to start a discussion to see if that severe of a use would alter your oil selection, and if so, what would you use? (for example...he uses Castrol Edge black bottle...would you use something like the Castrol Edge EP gold bottle or would you switch to something else altogether?)

He could bump it up to 5w30 or 0w40. Toyota manual specifically states going up in viscosity for such servicemay be more suitable. It is what I do and I don’t tow near as much. I would not bother with the uneeded extended drain interval oil selection it doesn’t add any protection or value in shorter intervals. I would look at any DEXOS certified 5w30 synthetic that can be had inexpensively for the short intervals.or Mobil FS0w40 or Castrol edge 0w40 Of he prefers major labels.

Last edited:
Not to go off topic, does he have a tranny Cooler since he's towing all the time?

I would probably go with a 5w-30 since he's towing all the time.

He could bump it up to 5w30 or 0w40. Toyota manual specifically states going up in viscosity for such servicemay be more suitable. It is what I do and I don’t tow near as much. I would not bother with the uneeded extended drain interval oil selection it doesn’t add any protection or value in shorter intervals. I would look at any DEXOS certified 5w30 synthetic that can be had inexpensively for the short intervals.or Mobil FS0w40 or Castrol edge 0w40 Of he prefers major labels.
Yup, higher viscosity per Toyota manual. I am partial to Schaeffer and he drives so much highway that 10k miles should be easy in that engine, which would make the Schaeffer less expensive.

Toyota uses 0w-20 because the tundra hasn’t had tech updates since 2007. They are desperate to help its worst in class gas mileage.

Toyota uses 0w-20 because the tundra hasn’t had tech updates since 2007. They are desperate to help its worst in class gas mileage.
True,
but speaking from experience owning multiple brand trucks.hook anything 6k-7k up and gas mileage sucks Regardless of brand

and yes, I asked the guide if he would consider a diesel. He said “I can buy a whole lotta gas for the price difference between diesel and gas trucks”

True,
but speaking from experience owning multiple brand trucks.hook anything 6k-7k up and gas mileage sucks Regardless of brand

and yes, I asked the guide if he would consider a diesel. He said “I can buy a whole lotta gas for the price difference between diesel and gas trucks”
For sure - I was referring more to the Tundra’s worst in class MPG.

Back