Oil Changes Through The Ages

Status
Not open for further replies.
16: What are they talking about when they tell me to change the oil?

26: Change the oil? Oh boy! I'm going to do this every 3000 miles no matter what! So much fun. So much money saved!

36: I'm going to change the oil and use synthetic so I don't have to deal with doing this until next year.

46:Why the heck didn't I just get my mechanic to do this when I had the chance? Sigh... let's get this over with.

56: Hey son! Daughter! Androgynous human life form! Let me teach you how to change your oil. Go ahead and open the hood and I'll let you do the rest.

66: I'll pay whatever! I'm not doing it!

76 Doh! I forgot to change the oil in this car! Now where did I put my tools?

86: What are they talking about when they tell me to change the oil?

http://www.dashboard-light.com/the-oil-change-who-what-when-where-why-and-huh/

Last edited:
lol.gif

With all the new oil technology we're still at the point where the oil is drained through a metal bolt probably using a metal/fiber crush washer, although I remember my dad's Regal has one with a built in rubber gasket.

And mostly spin-on filters, although cartridge filters can be a pain. But at least some are top mounted like new Subarus. I changed the oil on a Toyota with it mounted on the front of the engine. Easy to get to, but drips oil on the exhaust.

Apparently im going through life WAY too fast
14- Change the oil every month.
16- Change the synthetic oil every 3 months.
20- Change the synthetic oil every year.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
With all the new oil technology we're still at the point where the oil is drained through a metal bolt probably using a metal/fiber crush washer, although I remember my dad's Regal has one with a built in rubber gasket.

And mostly spin-on filters, although cartridge filters can be a pain. But at least some are top mounted like new Subarus. I changed the oil on a Toyota with it mounted on the front of the engine. Easy to get to, but drips oil on the exhaust.

You can always get a vacuum extractor. That's how Mercedes dealers do it. And the filter is typically on the front of the engine, I keep a towel handy and no oil drips beyond the filter. You could always drain it the old fashion way by removing a bolt if you want though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back