Oil changes for family and friends

Good evening BITOGERS. Most of you know I do oil changes for friends and my 1 step idiot, err stepbrother. Currently have over 500 quart stash. I don’t mind doing this as some are way less fortunate so I pay it forward. I never ask for money; most of the folks will give me food or when I see them out at a hangout (restaurant/bar) we will split the bill. How many of you folks do this?

I hand wash cars on my street for free which consists of the elderly. Slap my EarPods in and away I go. The smile they have after is priceless. I offer to do oil changes and tire swaps no one takes me up on them. Their loss. Putting kindness into the world is your choice whether others accept it is theirs.

I hand wash cars on my street for free which consists of the elderly. Slap my EarPods in and away I go. The smile they have after is priceless. I offer to do oil changes and tire swaps no one takes me up on them. Their loss. Putting kindness into the world is your choice whether others accept it is theirs.
This world needs more people like you.

Been a long time since I offered to do work for anyone else. While I like the idea, the liability is right up there. I'd have no problem helping someone else, an additional set of hands, but if they are unable... I think I'd rather spot them the money to get it done by someone else.

Plus most people I know drive nicer cars than I do. :)

This world needs more people like you.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I just hope that I'm setting a good example for the younger kids on the street. Every time I wash or work on my car, the kids come running and ask me million of questions and I am more than happy to answer them.

Maybe because I lost my father at a young age or maybe it's the fact I've dealt with other hardships, but a little kindness and respect goes a long way to change someone day or perspective on life. Makes me happy to see other people here put in the same effort for others. Keep it up.

Do it for everyone. I don’t do it for money. But my grandma and aunt pay me very well for doing it they don’t believe in free labor lol 😂 that is what they say. I do everything for my family and friends car related. I’ve got to do an oil change in grandmas car next month it’s right at the 4900 mark now so by next month it will be 5000. Everyone that is my friend is a mechanic so I don’t have to worry about doing it for them lol. But we still hang out and do major jobs together.

I service friends vehicles. I take their flat tires for repair. Where the heck do all those nails come from?
I take a small HF compressor with me to air up tires as part of the oil change service.
One friend used to be a neighbor; Edna is about 94 and has terminal cancer. A great lady.

All good.

Supplies for 6 drivers … but have trained my sons to do motor oil with my supplies …
I still help them with driveline fluids and brakes … do my wife’s and my vehicles …

Been a long time since I offered to do work for anyone else. While I like the idea, the liability is right up there. I'd have no problem helping someone else, an additional set of hands, but if they are unable... I think I'd rather spot them the money to get it done by someone else.

Plus most people I know drive nicer cars than I do. :)
That's the problem - once you put your hands on a vehicle, there is an assumed obligation for you to advise on any safety, repair or maintenance issues. Otherwise, you look like the dummy when the owner takes the car to a real shop and is told "The last person who worked on your car failed to inform you of a critical issue."

I have done these things for very elderly people. They could well afford to have them done at shops, it's just that they trusted me much more. In other situations I have removed motors and re-installed them after the repairs. However, I now think about what Supton said above. I won't take on any more of this.

That's the problem - once you put your hands on a vehicle, there is an assumed obligation for you to advise on any safety, repair or maintenance issues. Otherwise, you look like the dummy when the owner takes the car to a real shop and is told "The last person who worked on your car failed to inform you of a critical issue."
Totally agree.

Also, I hardly have time to address maintenance issues on my own vehicle, let alone the needs of the neighbors' vehicles.

I do it for a friend of ours. She’s a single aunt who’s raising her niece. For her ‘03 Corolla, she gets 4 qts (usually $1.99 Phillips 66 Shield Choice from Orscheln’s), a Toyota filter, a bottle of fuel system cleaner, check and top off all other fluids, de-yellow her headlights, and set tire pressure every 5k miles. She always wants to pay me, but I always tell her that her money’s no good with me, so she usually gives me a shoutout on Facebook. I wish I had more friends that I could do this for...I just like changing oil. Makes me 🙂.

I do our cars and one for family member. There are a very few others I would do it for, it is a short list, but not as short of list as the people who I will do exhaust work for.

Time is becoming increasingly short though....

Back