Oil change wisdom on another forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this on a different forum and couldn't help myself but to share this here once I saw it... my apologies if I should have put it in a different sub-forum.

Quote:
I've got an '08 Cobalt, and up until recently, I've been doing mostly short trips and changing my oil every 5,000 km's. I use a factory filter and Castrol GTX conventional. I use the recommended spec all year (I can't remember what it is off the top of my head).

Thing is, I've recently started a new job, and I'd say 90%+ of my driving is highway.

Does anyone push their interval longer than 5k on conventional, or does everyone stick to it?

The car does have 256k on it (again, in kilometres).

I've considered switching to a synthetic oil (Mobil 1), with a factory filter, but seeing as the age of the engine and that I currently have no leaks.. I'm not sure if I should try my luck.

Originally Posted By: User2
Originally Posted By: User1
What's the oil life monitor say to go to?

Personally I would not worry about doing 5,000 (miles) minimum on a brand name conventional.

And you'd be wrong, most conventionnal oil lose their viscosity and start to turn to tar after 3000 miles. Synthetic is the way to go especially if you have the cam actuators. You should switch to a synthetic oil filter if you switch to Mobil 1 and still follow manufacturers directions. Change filter after 3000 miles eventhough your oil is good to 10000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Saw this on a different forum and couldn't help myself but to share this here once I saw it... my apologies if I should have put it in a different sub-forum.

Quote:
I've got an '08 Cobalt, and up until recently, I've been doing mostly short trips and changing my oil every 5,000 km's. I use a factory filter and Castrol GTX conventional. I use the recommended spec all year (I can't remember what it is off the top of my head).

Thing is, I've recently started a new job, and I'd say 90%+ of my driving is highway.

Does anyone push their interval longer than 5k on conventional, or does everyone stick to it?

The car does have 256k on it (again, in kilometres).

I've considered switching to a synthetic oil (Mobil 1), with a factory filter, but seeing as the age of the engine and that I currently have no leaks.. I'm not sure if I should try my luck.

Originally Posted By: User2
Originally Posted By: User1
What's the oil life monitor say to go to?

Personally I would not worry about doing 5,000 (miles) minimum on a brand name conventional.

And you'd be wrong, most conventionnal oil lose their viscosity and start to turn to tar after 3000 miles. Synthetic is the way to go especially if you have the cam actuators. You should switch to a synthetic oil filter if you switch to Mobil 1 and still follow manufacturers directions. Change filter after 3000 miles eventhough your oil is good to 10000 miles.

Probably a mechanic who knows it all.

All that mileage on conventional oil??? Better switch now while there is still time!

Quote:
....most conventionnal oil lose their viscosity and start to turn to tar after 3000 miles....

Turn to "tar" at 3k. Oh my....
shocked.gif

Quote:
..Change filter after 3000 miles eventhough your oil is good to 10000 miles.

Okaaay, sure.
smirk.gif

I kind of wonder if user 2 is being sarcastic but then he sounds like he is pretty serious. Oil companies must love him as a customer.

Of all the automotive-related internet discussion boards I ventured/spent time on, most of them aren't worth anything, if any (based on information accuracy).

Most of them filled with half-nots, armchair scientists/mechs that claimed to know everything on the universe, but they do not provide any factual information (nor are they capable, for most of them thinking out from their bottom-behind, not their brain).

The only board that I'd rather spend time with is here, where even slightest doubts will be voiced and queried for facts, not just hearsays, but real stuff.

That's why over the years, BITOG has been cherished by many motoring folks worldwide for having good info, not just some auto-enthusiasts boards on the net.

To counter this posting (don't care whether it's sarcastic or not), over 90% of the motoring nation (avg. motoring joe) are getting their oil change done from either stealerships or quikky lube, which use conventional bulk oil. If conventional oil, as the poster said, is soo bad (can change into tar in mere miles), then we should have seen more litigation and lawsuits all over the country about automobiles engine damaged due to lubricant turned tar.

Fact is, it has not happened at all, and most avg. motoring joes don't know enough/don't even care enough about motor oil subjects, that implies that even conventional motor oil is doing a mighty fine job on most utilitarian mass-produced automobiles, period.

There shall always be the lower end of the percentage automobiles that due to design, etc. may not have a choice but to stay on with syn oil only.

Q.

I have to bite my tongue. At an event, a shop we invite to do public vehicle safety checks recommends 3,000mi changes with syn-blend. My fleet is on a 7,500mi schedule (on their oil no less). Fleet users freak out when they see the odometer 2-3K over the sticker. I tell folks it is more how it is driven and they look at me oddly... then ask how often I change my personal car. I tell them 5,000 or 7,500+ or... depending on the vehicle. Technically it is by the manual (vehicle under warranty), 6 months (few miles driven) and 3,000 miles (because I am bored and have 50+ quarts in the closet with an average cost of about $1.90 per quart).

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I have to bite my tongue. At an event, a shop we invite to do public vehicle safety checks recommends 3,000mi changes with syn-blend. My fleet is on a 7,500mi schedule (on their oil no less). Fleet users freak out when they see the odometer 2-3K over the sticker. I tell folks it is more how it is driven and they look at me oddly... then ask how often I change my personal car. I tell them 5,000 or 7,500+ or... depending on the vehicle. Technically it is by the manual (vehicle under warranty), 6 months (few miles driven) and 3,000 miles (because I am bored and have 50+ quarts in the closet with an average cost of about $1.90 per quart).
They'd freak out at my 10k mile OCIs.

*most conventionnal oil lose their viscosity and start to turn to tar after 3000 miles.*

I'm willing to bet that guy is just being facetious.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

heh...or my 15K+

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

heh...or my 15K+
Oh geez your motors must be completely sludged! I'm already 5,000 miles into my OCI, I bet it looks like tar! Oh wait it does, it's a diesel!

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Where do you believe I stole my signature?

Naked honesty, here - I always read 'oil cap white' as the description of how you want to make the inside of your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back