Oil change wisdom on another forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
*most conventionnal oil lose their viscosity and start to turn to tar after 3000 miles.*

I'm willing to bet that guy is just being facetious.

No, he's just referring to Pennzoil, Quaker State and other paraffin oils
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Similar to various comments we get here on BITOG at times from roaming internet trolls.

Are they just roaming trolls? I thought they guy doing the 0 mi, 100 mi, 200 mi, 500 mi, 1000 mi, 2000 mi oil changes to break-in his new car was a troll, but he has like 90 posts.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I have to bite my tongue. At an event, a shop we invite to do public vehicle safety checks recommends 3,000mi changes with syn-blend. My fleet is on a 7,500mi schedule (on their oil no less). Fleet users freak out when they see the odometer 2-3K over the sticker. I tell folks it is more how it is driven and they look at me oddly... then ask how often I change my personal car. I tell them 5,000 or 7,500+ or... depending on the vehicle. Technically it is by the manual (vehicle under warranty), 6 months (few miles driven) and 3,000 miles (because I am bored and have 50+ quarts in the closet with an average cost of about $1.90 per quart).
They'd freak out at my 10k mile OCIs.

heh...or my 15K+
Oh geez your motors must be completely sludged! I'm already 5,000 miles into my OCI, I bet it looks like tar! Oh wait it does, it's a diesel!

Ha, you should look at my diesels. They fall under "special conditions" of special conditions. Diesels can definitely go longer, but don't do that with a transit-shuttle fleet. My Ford PS6.0 "aka 6 liters of junks" can definitely go 7,500 (see manual). But, my fleet that I inherited went far to long before their change in previous years (heck, my predecessor was trying to run B20 (or higher) with 4 hours of idling per service day). They are/were in rough shape with 8,000 hours and 2000 idle hours on the clock with no real service history and they limped on (and used up 70% of my maintenance budget in the first 5 months). Now, they are on 5K intervals because it is 5-35mph transit service... if they had not blown the turbo (twice), oil cooler, and a few other odd items. Collectively, I think they had about 4-5 oil changes in about 400 miles.

If you really want to freak someone out, try talking about hours instead of miles to the finance and purchasing folks. Sure, my buses only have 60-70K on them, but with 10,000+ hours on Ford 6.0, it is going to an issue. The buses run 10 hours a day on average and collect 100 miles under the new system (compared to 70 miles over 12 hour with the old).

I applaud the high OCI... I just can't do it with my personal vehicles (I do not collect enough miles). I do it with my non-transit fleet which collect mostly highway miles, but I can't do it for the transit vehicles.

The internet is the great equalizer.

It's impossible to judge the actual competence or qualifications of any responder or the validity of any response. As they say, most like to hear themselves talk, and those who confuse that need for actual ability tend to talk the loudest.

Just as an FYI gadfly remark, does anyone know where the OP is from with his Cobalt that he uses metric? I know it's uber fashionable to be metric, but unless one actually lives in a country that uses metric as the standard of measure, it's also awfully pompous.

Originally Posted By: Noey

Just as an FYI gadfly remark, does anyone know where the OP is from with his Cobalt that he uses metric? I know it's uber fashionable to be metric, but unless one actually lives in a country that uses metric as the standard of measure, it's also awfully pompous.

Just a wild guess but I'm going assume Canada.......

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: virginoil

Similar to various comments we get here on BITOG at times from roaming internet trolls.

Are they just roaming trolls? I thought they guy doing the 0 mi, 100 mi, 200 mi, 500 mi, 1000 mi, 2000 mi oil changes to break-in his new car was a troll, but he has like 90 posts.

Some need a little bit more time to be found out to see what the habitual agenda is.

Last edited:
I am a admin on another forum, & when one of the members asks an oil related question, I always refer them here at BITOG because they will get no better answers on ANY other site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back