Oil change vote for my 1991 Taurus 3.0 Vulcan engine.

As if the presidential election was not enough, what oil should I put in my 1991 Taurus 3.0 Vulcan V6? It has a slight oil pan leak I do plan on fixing around the springtime. This car drives mostly highway I drive it back and forth to work as my beater. The oil in a currently is a 10w30 Valvoline maxlife full synthetic with a Fram tough guard filter. Oils I could put in it are
1. Shell RGT 5W30
2. Mobil 1 gas truck 5w30
3. Quaker State high mileage 10w30 semi-synthetic
4. Kindle 20w50 with liquid Tech

My oil filter will be a Purolator pure one because it's the correct size however I heard a Motorcraft fl1a we'll fit as well as I'm metalcraft fl910s. I have all of them but I'm probably going to stick with the pureone

Really depends on how much it leaks. If oil loss isn't an issue, my vote is #2. No sense wasting expensive oil if it's just gonna fall on the ground.

If oil loss is a concern, #3.

Really depends on how much it leaks. If oil loss isn't an issue, my vote is #2. No sense wasting expensive oil if it's just gonna fall on the ground.

If oil loss is a concern, #3.
I got that Mobil 1 for $15/5qrt. And the RGT for $10/5art. Was a steal. Cant remember what I paid for the other 2.

In my Vulcan, I run whatever bulk 10W-30 synthetic we have that month along with whatever jobber filter we have (FL-400S equivalent) for 10k intervals.

Purolator filter for that engine is a 20195 if I recall.

My vote is for #3

Spell check gets me every time.

Yeah me too at times...

Some non approved words get said when it happens with me.

I like QS high mileage... Runs quiet in my car. And really has a very good additive package with it. Interesting that Havoline high mileage is similar in additive package too.

Use what the manual calls for and get the leak fixed. Any API certified synth oil off WM shelf will work. Don't stress about it.

I think i speak for everyone when i say we want to see what happens if you put 20w50 in there. But as for practicality going into winter you should probably stick with a 5 or 10w30.

It doesn't matter...

I would use the M1 and a FL400s...

The kindle might be a good choice though, it is probably well read. :whistle:

I’ve probably put about 750K miles on various Vulcan 3.0 engines, from Aerostars, Tauruses and the like. My current 3.0 ride is a Ranger with over 200K miles. Most of the oils I’ve used were $2/quart (or less) dino oils, but currently using ShieldChoice (TropArtic) synthetic blend. My advice is that brand is not important, just keep it maintained. The FL400 is adequate, the FL1A won’t fit (and is not needed) unless you do some work on the starter or starter cable. As noted, check the pan bolts and tighten if needed.

I think i speak for everyone when i say we want to see what happens if you put 20w50 in there. But as for practicality going into winter you should probably stick with a 5 or 10w30.
When I was growing up my dad had a 1990 Taurus3.0 and he only used 20w50. Hes old school when it comes to oils. Hes got a new Rio and was scarred to use synthetic so he just uses conventional 5w30 in it cause the dealer told him not to use 20w50.

Back