Oil change too soon in new 2013 Honda Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I jumped the gun on our new Civic and had the first oil change at 1700 miles. Afterwards, I read that this might actually hurt the engine by not giving it a good break-in period.

Did I really screw up, or did I just waste $70? Or both...

Your engine is doomed. Just kidding, but screwed up a little and yes wasted your money. The first oil change should be ran down to 15% on the MM. Your cars not going to blow up or anything though. Just use a high quality oil and filter from here on out.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I believe in an early first oil change.

I can't believe that you spent 70$ on an oil change, wow that's rich!

This. ^. You didn't do any harm to your engine and IMO got contaminants out.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Falken
I believe in an early first oil change.

I can't believe that you spent 70$ on an oil change, wow that's rich!

This. ^. You didn't do any harm to your engine and IMO got contaminants out.
thumbsup2.gif

Isn't that what the filters for? Anyway, doesn't Honda FF oil have a [censored] load of moly for break in?

Some automotive machinists will tell you that you need to change your oil after
the first 20 minutes, then the second fill after 300 miles. Third fill regular OCI.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Anyway, doesn't Honda FF oil have a [censored] load of moly for break in?

^ This, I was under the impression that Honda was one of the few companies who used a special FF.

Curious as to what your manual stated

With a new car (non Honda) I changed at 3,000 miles (usually with PYB) and then again at 10K with a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Carl_Stammerjohn
I jumped the gun on our new Civic and had the first oil change at 1700 miles. Afterwards, I read that this might actually hurt the engine by not giving it a good break-in period.

Both....

The factory fill is a break in oil that has very high amounts of moly in it and possibly other additives as well.

Many Honda owners manuals recommend that you leave this fill in until the factory change interval.

As far as folks claiming that there are too many metal fragments in the factory oil because it is a new engine...even if there was, which is not too likely, the oil filter does the job to remove these.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Both....

The factory fill is a break in oil that has very high amounts of moly in it and possibly other additives as well.

Many Honda owners manuals recommend that you leave this fill in until the factory change interval.

As far as folks claiming that there are too many metal fragments in the factory oil because it is a new engine...even if there was, which is not too likely, the oil filter does the job to remove these.

I wholeheartedly agree.

you should have waited you wasted the money and (according to Honda could have actually interrupted break in) I was talking to one of the honda techs at a seminar last year and he claims there can be warranty issues and have been my wife which is a Lawyer says Honda can say anything they want but would love to see them prove it.

I've also heard the Honda factory fill has high amounts of moly and other additives. On both my Honda's that I bought new, I left the factory fill in until the OCI specified in the manuals. My Pilot only has about 9k miles on it but the Accord has 170k miles on it and you could eat off the inside of the engine since it's so clean. Doesn't even burn a drop of oil. You should've just saved your cash and waited. And for $70, they better have put synthetic oil in there.

Last edited:

Only once in 1700 mi? By that time i have changed the oil 2 times on a new engine.
I say you did well.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Only once in 1700 mi? By that time i have changed the oil 2 times on a new engine.
I say you did well.

X2. I also did early oil changes on both my 2007 Civics (an Si with a 2.0L and an EX with a 1.8L) and both cars lead a very healthy life up until the end... Both produced spectacular UOAs as well.

I honestly believe that engines are well broken in after a few hundred miles of spinning.

Race car engines are broken in on a dyno and are considered good to go after a few hours of run in time.

I strongly believe that Honda, as well as all other manufacturers just want to seem "Green" by telling us to run the oil until the regular scheduled maintenance because the engine will be "just fine" even with a bit of metallic shavings in the oil, scrapping the engine block for 5, 6, 7,000 miles etc. I personally prefer to get that stuff out sooner rather then later.

I'm also interested in this $70 oil change. What was involved? Did they pour in a few grams of GOLD for extra protection? Goodness gracious.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I'm also interested in this $70 oil change. What was involved? Did they pour in a few grams of GOLD for extra protection? Goodness gracious.

+1 i didn't even think about it but US oil prices are less than fire sale prices even for a quality oil like M1 or PU.
$70 is normal Euro price for a gallon of mid grade.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I say you did well.

I agree.

While Honda might use an break-in oil with extra moly in it, by 1,700 miles, the engine also had extra metal flakes in it that created more friction to offset the moly.

Your changing of the oil early on will pay dividends in the long-run. In short, the break-in metal particles cause more harm than the moly does good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back