Oil change time

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Toyota Tacoma. 2.7L. 70k miles

Anyone use this Mobil 1 product?

CF268347-CDE0-43F1-AF08-9F0718725C7D.png

Used this oil on my 2004 Corolla for a winter OCI three years ago and it did just fine. I still have another Jug of it in the stash.
But it did not increase my MPG a tenth.

Last edited:
Its some of the best stuff you can buy. What viscosity are you planning on running in your 2.7?

I have used the 0W20 in my daughter's Impreza (2.0l NA) and the 0W30 in my FXT (2.0l turbo).
Never got cold enough last winter to really stretch out the 0W in my oil on a ski weekend...think the coldest I woke up to was -11F, which is an unusually high low (if that makes sense).
I have used 5W30 for some time now and have been OK with it to -25F and below, just wanted to try the 0W30 for the heck of it.
I think they are both good products!

Originally Posted by dawgn86
I didn't think there would be any fuel mpg savings; but at $22 for 5 quarts, it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Get the rebate, too!
I got my $12 e-check for the M1 10W30 HM a few weeks ago...it did take a while to process, think it was more than 6 weeks.
Also submitted the rebate for the M1 0W20 AFE for my daughter's car about the time the email with that check arrived.
I bought the oil at Walmart, sometimes people say it's not an approved retailer for the XOM rebates but I haven't had an issue in at least half a dozen instances.

I got at least 3 quarts of the 0W-30 kind of this. That is right, 0W-30.

They will sit for many years until I find a suitable application. I have heard oil can in fact sit for years, and be ok. Just give it a good vigorous shake and pour and use when it is time.

EDIT: OP you can get that in 0W-20 or 0W-30. The 0W-20 you can get at Walmart, that is the one that sells.. the Annual Protection one is a total flop, not surprisingly. Strange how the Mobil 1 website does not show a picture of the grade of oil on the bottle, but. Yes, use the 0W-20 with confidence. I would mail someone the three 0W-30s I got (considerably more rare, you cannot walk into a store like Walmart and buy 0W-30 M1 AFE. And when you can it is like $11 a quart, or at least $8.49 hello NAPA) but I don't want the Postal Service examining my liquids.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I have used the 0W20 in my daughter's Impreza (2.0l NA) and the 0W30 in my FXT (2.0l turbo).
Never got cold enough last winter to really stretch out the 0W in my oil on a ski weekend...think the coldest I woke up to was -11F, which is an unusually high low (if that makes sense).
I have used 5W30 for some time now and have been OK with it to -25F and below, just wanted to try the 0W30 for the heck of it.
I think they are both good products!

Where did you get your 0W-30 from brother?

Mine, there just so happened to be four quarts sitting in some oddball location, triple checked it with my eyes and confirmed that it was the rare one. Came back, hoping to beat any other sharp-eyes oil freak to the punch and got all four. Used one in a mix
21.gif
and still have the other three, with no real justification for the 0W-30 considering all the other oils I have.

I tried the 0w-30 version a few years ago and was thoroughly unimpressed. Absolutely no increase in mpg. Vanilla Mobil1 was a better oil.

There is absolutely no way you ever would see a difference outside a laboratory where all variables could be controlled. In real world driving the difference is deep in the noise.

Not to say that it isn't there but you're not going to detect it (nor more importantly, attribute it to the oil).

All of the M1 oils have been outstanding in my various engines for the last 41 years at 10K OCIs. For the last 490K I have used M1 0-20 oils with great results as well.

Originally Posted by kschachn
There is absolutely no way you ever would see a difference outside a laboratory where all variables could be controlled. In real world driving the difference is deep in the noise.

Not to say that it isn't there but you're not going to detect it (nor more importantly, attribute it to the oil).

yeah get real. Automakers are fighting for 0.1% gains in fuel economy and you think you are going to be able to detect that on a day today basis on the road? I doubt you could detect 0.5%.

Originally Posted by talest
I got at least 3 quarts of the 0W-30 kind of this. That is right, 0W-30.

They will sit for many years until I find a suitable application. I have heard oil can in fact sit for years, and be ok. Just give it a good vigorous shake and pour and use when it is time.

EDIT: OP you can get that in 0W-20 or 0W-30. The 0W-20 you can get at Walmart, that is the one that sells.. the Annual Protection one is a total flop, not surprisingly. Strange how the Mobil 1 website does not show a picture of the grade of oil on the bottle, but. Yes, use the 0W-20 with confidence. I would mail someone the three 0W-30s I got (considerably more rare, you cannot walk into a store like Walmart and buy 0W-30 M1 AFE. And when you can it is like $11 a quart, or at least $8.49 hello NAPA) but I don't want the Postal Service examining my liquids.

I've never had any trouble finding my 0W-30 at any Walmart I go to?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Isn't this the same Mobil-1 Vanilla you're running in your two Nissans?

In the Pathfinder, I tried some NAPS but started leaking some. Switched to Valvoline high mileage and it stopped

Originally Posted by talest

Where did you get your 0W-30 from brother?
Mine, there just so happened to be four quarts sitting in some oddball location, triple checked it with my eyes and confirmed that it was the rare one. Came back, hoping to beat any other sharp-eyes oil freak to the punch and got all four. Used one in a mix
21.gif
and still have the other three, with no real justification for the 0W-30 considering all the other oils I have.

M1 0W30 AFE is pretty common at Walmarts around me, only gets one "slot" and will occasionally be sold out but it wasn't hard to track down last fall.
Think I bought a 5 qt jug and a single quart since my car takes something like 5.4 quarts total...believe I used the rest of the quart in a Frankenbrew that would take some time to explain (and that I forgot about until just now).
I would imagine there might not be much call for this grade in warmer places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back