oil change time interval

I did searching on my question and didn't come up with the specific answer to my question. Sorry if my search wasn't deep enough! But here is my question: My 2014 Subaru Outback has been driven mostly in town for 1600 miles during the past 6 months. Practically speaking Is there really a need to change the oil at this point? The Subaru maintenance manual and schedule states YES. I'm a skeptic on the dealer recommendations. We're on Oklahoma, there are 55K miles on the car and it's obviously out of warranty. Thanks!!!!

Short trips can be a bit of an issue, but one year is reasonable.
On a Chevy Volt I had, where the engine didn't run that much (mostly on electricity) GM called for 2 years or when the OLM said so.
I have stuck with annual oil changes for a long time now, regardless of miles. (No GM OLM).

I did searching on my question and didn't come up with the specific answer to my question. Sorry if my search wasn't deep enough! But here is my question: My 2014 Subaru Outback has been driven mostly in town for 1600 miles during the past 6 months. Practically speaking Is there really a need to change the oil at this point? The Subaru maintenance manual and schedule states YES. I'm a skeptic on the dealer recommendations. We're on Oklahoma, there are 55K miles on the car and it's obviously out of warranty. Thanks!!!!
I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla that I put on about 2,500 miles every 6 months. I change the oil every 6 months but am leaving the filter on this time for 1 year. I do 90% "short trips" and I'm from Chicago so we have cold winters.

Thanks for the responses! A YEAR IT IS! I just changed the oil in my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. In the past 6 months it has gone 5k miles with 90% city driving. It's a GDI engine which IMHO is a complicating factor with regard to oil integrity..

Reactions: FZ1
Thanks for the responses! A YEAR IT IS! I just changed the oil in my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. In the past 6 months it has gone 5k miles with 90% city driving. It's a GDI engine which IMHO is a complicating factor with regard to oil integrity..
All responses so far have been guesses. At the end of your year, take and send in a sample, leaving the oil in pending results.

Then you will KNOW.

Considering the perceived knowledge and experience levels of the forum participants, I would have to say that the "guesses" would have to be considered as "educated guesses". There is a difference....
You're right, there most certainly is a difference. However their vehicle, oil choice and driving habits are not yours. Without any data, it's guesswork. IMO (guessing) with a solid oil you could EASILY go a year without worry, and probably even 18 months (4800 miles). But to be absolutely certain about the condition of your oil...a UOA is required.

Your usage would qualify as severe service, with 6 month maximum.
Short trips where the engine doesn't get hot for extended periods to burn away the impurities
in the oil causes the oil to maintain moisture and is a recipe for damaging your engine.

Another thing to note: the owners manual is written by the manufacturer, not the dealer.
I would always trust the owners manual as it's written by the team whose engineer's designed your car. Oil is cheap, your car's engine isn't.

I recently changed the oil in my in-laws little used pickup truck. The oil was in the sump for 2/ 1/2 years with a little less than 2500 miles on the oil. I did a Blackstone UOA and the oil came back tested fine. The TBN came back at 3.2 and they even suggested doing 5000 OCI regardless of calendar time.

Back