Oil Change - That Can't Be Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my 03 Suburban 5.3 today.
When I drained the oil from my capture pan to my empty jug, I heard a "Plop" sound.
Discovered this bolt in my bottle.
8mm bolt head, .214 shaft diameter.
[Linked Image]

Not 100% it is from this change, but it is the first time the broken bolt has shown itself.
I use the same container for Expedition oil changes and Expedition transmission fluid changes.

Looks awfully rusty for being in the oil sump... I'd bet, and I hope for you, that it was perched somewhere in the engine compartment, got moved while you were working and just 'plopped' down.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Looks awfully rusty for being in the oil sump... I'd bet, and I hope for you, that it was perched somewhere in the engine compartment, got moved while you were working and just 'plopped' down.

This sounds possible to me. And a bolt with .214" shank diameter is not very big, like a #12 or 6mm. Maybe some kind of a fastener to secure a wire loom.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Is the oil drain hole even big enough for that to have fit through?
I'd suspect it is but it would take perfect luck for it to just "fall" through. Also, I'd say it's too heavy to float in the oil and make it to the drain hole.

Originally Posted by wog
Exhaust or manifold bolt?

Yeah, check all your exhaust manifolds, that's what that looks like.

Doesn't look like the type bolt GM usually uses on their heat shields..

Can you get a shot of the top of the head? The hex section looks taller than most 6mm bolts - more like the bearing cap bolt for the front driveshaft at the front yoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back