Oil change prices

I've been running around trying to find the best deal on a 0-40 Euro oil, and it dawned on me how much time I am wasting.
I drive my car around 12K miles annually. So...29 mpg, avg. gas price now $4.50 (CA) but it may go down in the future so for this purpose I will go with $4.25/gal. That adds up to $1760 annually, a little less if gas goes back down even more.
Now then, jug M1 0W-40, $26 +- times 3, plus 3 filters say $9 ea. Total oil change annually: $105.
Huh.

It’s been a while since I’ve been in a Sam’s but I didn’t know they sold a 0W-40, good to know.
The Sam's Clubs near me have never had much choice when it came to engine oil. It was typically one brand (usually Mobil 1) and 2-3 viscosities (5W-20 and 5W-30 and nowadays, 0W-20). They would have a pallet of each though. It was cases of 1-quart bottles too but if the price is right, who cares....

FWIW, my nearby Sam's has (just checked as I was typing) (3) options in stock. Just happens to be exactly what I indicated above too.

The Sam's Clubs near me have never had much choice when it came to engine oil. It was typically one brand (usually Mobil 1) and 2-3 viscosities (5W-20 and 5W-30 and nowadays, 0W-20). They would have a pallet of each though. It was cases of 1-quart bottles too but if the price is right, who cares....

FWIW, my nearby Sam's has (just checked as I was typing) (3) options in stock. Just happens to be exactly what I indicated above too.
Used to have a Sam's Club close but they closed every store in Washington a couple years ago!

Can get M1 0w-40 in a 12 quart box from Walmart for $53.00 (22.08/5qt). Link

Are we changing oil 3x a year to cover 12k miles per year? What's the Year/Make/Model?

LOL, my point was that compared to the gas prices, a few bucks on oil is insignificant. And that is for a fairly efficient gas car. With a truck getting maybe 17, even worse.

LOL, my point was that compared to the gas prices, a few bucks on oil is insignificant. And that is for a fairly efficient gas car. With a truck getting maybe 17, even worse.
🙃 then this probably should have been in General and Off-Topic

I've been running around trying to find the best deal on a 0-40 Euro oil
Buy your oil at Walmart. They typically have as much selection as auto parts stores plus no auto parts store even comes close to their price. Castrol Edge 0W-40 at Autozone, etc is likely $35 vs $24 at Walmart.

It’s been a while since I’ve been in a Sam’s but I didn’t know they sold a 0W-40, good to know.

Order online and ship to home or store pickup, I rarely step foot into the store. They carry Mobil 1 0w-40 and goes on sale a few times a year.

Mobil 1 0W40 and only running it 4000 miles per oil change -- my math with your 12K per year and 3 oil changes. My point, is a waste of good oil -- easily 5k plus with that quality oil.

I agree. Sometimes we are penny wise dollar foolish.
My car takes premium gas and I just pay the fiddler...

Not worth running around to save a few $$$.
That was exactly my point. I see so many posts re: oil coupons, wandering the aisles at WM, AZ, etc., and I have been guilty of same. But my GDI does require fairly frequent changes, so I am going to use the best oil I can, up to a point. But really, trying to save $5-10 over a 4 month interval? Probably spend more gas than you would save.

You just need to plan in advance. Mobil has been having those $10-$12 rebates for the last several years and still had it last year. Probably will start up again in a few months and you just stock up for the year and pick it up at Walmart. I kinda get your point if there was actually a place that sold oil cheaper than Walmart. But what places are you checking that carries oil cheaper than Walmart? Usually when there's a rebate, the 5 quart jug is the cheapest at Walmart. The only time you mind find it cheaper is if Autozone has it on clearance but they haven't had any Euro oils on clearance for several years and I've used up my stash of all that now. Makes me regret not cleaning them out of 0w30 once when they had a whole stack of it. I was thinking at the time that it was probably 20-30 bottles of oil and I was thinking, naw, that's too much oil to stash...

That was exactly my point. I see so many posts re: oil coupons, wandering the aisles at WM, AZ, etc., and I have been guilty of same. But my GDI does require fairly frequent changes, so I am going to use the best oil I can, up to a point. But really, trying to save $5-10 over a 4 month interval? Probably spend more gas than you would save.
Some people get their jollies searching for/finding a “good deal.” I don’t really get it, but whatever.

My in-laws will traverse the heavens and earth to save 20% on something... but will stop to eat out and buy overly priced gas station drinks on the way... It’s just the adventure of it I guess.

I had no idea what your point was, so glad you clarified.

Back