Oil Change on my girlfriend's car (rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I changed the oil on my girlfriend's car for the first time on Sunday - It's a 2001 Grand Am v6, and I bought a couple of filters for it (on sale) barely a month after we started dating - she usually takes it to random lube&tube places around town, but I just won't have that.

So I get under there and decide to pull the filter off first - so I get it off and (gasp) its a private-labeled E-core. Oh no you don't... Let me just replace that with a Quaker State filter (private labeled Purolator) - and much better.

Then I grab my 15mm/12pt combo wrench and get ready to work on the drain plug... and... oh boy, I can tell just by looking, this drain plug has been abused. So slide the wrench on there and push... and... ok maybe a bit more force... wait... ok just a bit harder... and... oh [censored]. Way overtightened. Lets try this again with some real oomph. and ARRRRRRRGH and nothing.

Hmmm.... I think the 12pt wrench is gonna be a problem, i'm starting to rount off the bolt. Out from under the car and grab 6pt socket and an 11 inch ratchet and try again... and slide the socket onto the bolt and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and FINALLY it breaks loose.

Hmmm. Let me go ahead and put a new o-ring on that drain plug and be reeeeeal careful this time - Next time it's getting a brand new MAGNETIC drain plug.

And if I can help it she is NEVER taking it back to that last lube place.

And people wonder why I won't let other people change my oil.

At least you got yours to break loose. I rounded a 13mm Drain Bolt with a 6 point with a normal socket wrench while showing this chick I liked how to change her oil, quite embarrassing to me but [censored] me off about the shop that torqued it on that tight.

I went to do my roommate's one day. Got the filter off no problem, drain plug didn't budge. I put my full body weight (160) on it and not even a mm worth of movement. Called her dad and asked if he used an impact wrench, "no I just hand tightened it". He either ate his spinach that day or doesn't remember what he did (mind you, he had her get w40 for an '10 Camry). I told her to take it to a lube shop because I wasn't risking snapping the plug.

I feel you pain, friends. That's one of my biggest peeves. When I first took over maintenance for the fleet here I had to install Fram Sure Drains in the cars because all the pan threads were stripped out. I got sick of having to screw them all the way out with a ratchet while the oil ran down my hand and arm.

The other thing I hate is how grossly overtight some people like to install oil filters...

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980

And people wonder why I won't let other people change my oil.

Same here! I can't stand the idea of some idiot kid cranking a drain plug so tight on my car. DIY and save the fight over striped bolts and oil pan threads as it's sure they will take no responsibility for the damage. Who teaches these people how to tighten bolts?

I sometimes wonder if the various quick lube places don’t have an internal game of “Who Can Tighten it the Most” with customer’s cars as the pawns. They all seem to do it.

You bought a couple of filters for your girlfriend’s car barely a month after you started dating? You may not realize it but that is a BITOG proposal.
laugh.gif

Yep, I had a similar issue getting the drain plug off my 3800 V6 Grand Prix the other day when changing the oil. I could only get a box end wrench in there since the transmission drain pan is right behind the engine oil pan. I wound up whacking it several times with a rubber hammer to finally get the plug to break loose. It appears that some quick change place used blue loctite to hold the plug in place; I guess some of them feel they have to do that to cover themselves.

Two moderate palm smacks on a wrench gets my drain plug loose.

Was with a friend of mine a couple of months ago and he was taking his Blazer to Walmart for an Oil Change. Was pleasantly surprised that they were putting a Purolator on it, filling it up with QS conventional and hand tightening the drain plug with a socket and ratchet.

Props to those guys. At least they were doing stuff OK in my book.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
You bought a couple of filters for your girlfriend’s car barely a month after you started dating? You may not realize it but that is a BITOG proposal.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't go that far... maybe if I'd have used a Napa Gold and some Pennzoil Platinum...

I have experienced exactly the same thing. Made in China oil filters and no drain plug gasket! Subsequently I have stocked up on oil drain plug gaskets so I have one handy, just in case.

You forgot to mention how easy it is to get to that oil filter, once you remove the plastic panel, or did Jiffy Lube throw it away already? I have a V6 Alero.

Any car I do an oil change on, that I know I have never done before, I go and get a new drain plug since odds are the one on the car will be messed up somehow. The Volvo was rounded off, and the Mustang had one that was rounded off while both were not factory.

Originally Posted By: Danno
How does one remove an oil pan bolt that is rounded and is "welded on tight"?

If its just rounded, you can use a pipe wrench.

Use a Dremel rotary type tool to create 2 flat, parallel edges. Use regular open ended wrench on this. Having said that, last time I did this, a regular pipe wrench (as in the type used for plumbing) worked better than an open ended wrench to grab onto what was left.

Google "Striped nut removal tool"... or you can weld on a new nut and use a wrench.

What city are you in?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have broken impact sockets trying to get off the dran plug. Most never use a new washer so they over compensate by super tightening it.

I once had to use an impact wrench on the drain bolt on my wife's car after a dealer changed the oil. Apparently they were out of gaskets.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Subsequently I have stocked up on oil drain plug gaskets so I have one handy, just in case.

It was totally coincidental that I had one on hand - I made it 202,000 miles on the original drain plug gasket on my truck and I figured I might as well change it next time, so I picked up a 3-pack a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
You forgot to mention how easy it is to get to that oil filter, once you remove the plastic panel, or did Jiffy Lube throw it away already? I have a V6 Alero.

I guess they must have removed it and thrown it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back