Oil change on a 1999 and 2000 Handa Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own both a 1999 and a 2000 Honda Accords and I have been going to Valvoline for my oil changes every 5000 miles. Everytime after the oil changes, I would smell burning oil from my exhaut for a week. I don't think they clean up the oil spill too well everytime after the oil changes. I would like to change the oil myself. I try to go under the car and look at where the drain plug and oil filter is and I can't find it. Looks like it is hidden inside the engine block somewhere. I don't think I can get to them without lifting up the car somehow. Can anyone give me an idea how they change their oil on their Honda Accord? Thanks.

deadhorse.gif

If you cant find the drain bolt and filter on your own, I highly recomend buying a manual before proceeding any further.

Well the burnt oil smell ought to tell you to look in the back directly over the exhaust manifold for your filter and you can find pictures on the internet by just doing accord - oil change - accord. If you have manual transmissions at least those are easy and the fill and drain bolts are behind your passenger wheel.

Try a plastic bag arund the filter when you remove it and you can get most of the drips.

What I meant is: is it anyway on these two Accords that you can change the oil without lifting the car up somehow? I knew the drain plug and the filter is hidden inside the engine block. The guys at Valvoline showed me where they are but I just wonder if there is otherway to gain acess to the plug and filter without jacking the car up on some kind of stands which I don't really want to do because of safety issues.

One wheel on the curb and if you want to be higher add a couple of 2X6 boards to get an extra 10 inches.

You might be able to remove the drain plug and drain the oil without lifting the front end (I haven't tried this), but you'll need to get under the vehicle to reach the oil filter located on the rear of the block and mid-way up. I use ramps.

Now, if you have auto tranmissions, it's possible to drain and refill the ATF without lifting the front on the 6th Gen.

I agree, you could probably get the drain plug off without jacking the car up, but no chance on the filter. Personally I wouldnt want to either, i like being able to see the filter mounting surface to be sure its clean.

I also owned 2 Toyotas as well, a 1996 Avalon and a 1994 4x4 pickup. I can change oil on both Toyota easily by just reaching my arm under the Avalon and slide myself under the pickup for the drain plugs. The oil filters on both Toyotas are reachable from the top under the hoods. Now that make me think twice about buying another Honda next time around if I want to change the oil myself.

I have 2005 and 2001 4 Cylinder Accords. The location of the filter in the 2001 is in such position that it is impossibe to remove without spilling some oil on the exhaust pipe. There is also some sort of mesh joint on the pipe where the oil collects and burns for days. The 2005 is a little better in that the oil does not collect on the exhaust pipe. I understand from others that the CR-V is the worst as far as filter position goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back