Oil Change on 2020 Mercedes GLB 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing oil changes on all my cars for the past 10 years... but this is the first time I've purchased a luxury car. Planning to take it to the stealership for the first oil change or two, but would like to do them myself later. Problem is, I can't find any info online about this brand new model, nor the MB 229.71 oil spec or oil filters. Hard to find oil meeting this spec here in the USA. Thanks.

The BeVo website will give you a list of all the blenders and manufacturers for a particular Mercedes-Benz approved oil. Here is the list for 229.71.

Also check the dealer as sometimes their prices for oil and filters isn't too bad. The Fuchs product appears to be available on Amazon but at a pretty high price, and there is also a Titan product you may find at the typical European online parts houses.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.71_en.html#close

Thanks, my next step was to go to the dealership for the supplies. I found the BEVO list, but couldn't find any of the oils on the list here in the USA. I guess it's too new, like when 0W-20 first became popular.

I'm sure there's a Mobil 1 product available, lots of European cars on the road here in the USA. Is it a completely redesigned engine? Maybe identify an older model with same engine type and find oil and filter. Or just ask the dealer, lol.

Lots of the oils on that list are available in the USA....Motul etc. on amazon.com and Mobil1 etc. at Walmart.com.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Lots of the oils on that list are available in the USA....Motul etc. on amazon.com and Mobil1 etc. at Walmart.com.

Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20 is not available on Walmart's website.

Originally Posted by Tonicart
Been doing oil changes on all my cars for the past 10 years... but this is the first time I've purchased a luxury car. Planning to take it to the stealership for the first oil change or two, but would like to do them myself later. Problem is, I can't find any info online about this brand new model, nor the MB 229.71 oil spec or oil filters. Hard to find oil meeting this spec here in the USA. Thanks.

Does it give you option for MB229.5 or 229.51 in manual?

So this is a diesel?

229.71 is a low saps 0W20 oil. So you must have a particulate filter. Valvoline MST should be available online. If not, I'd just go to Mercedes or find Genuine Mercedes oil online.

If it's not a diesel then MB must be spec'ing this oil for fuel economy only.

Originally Posted by JohnG
So this is a diesel?

Probably a 2.0 turbo. That's what the majority of MB's are equipped with these days.

Mercedes-Benz dealer tech here...

I first would like to say that the GLB is so new in the States that I've never done or seen an oil change done on one of them (1 yr/10k mile interval). The GLB uses a 2.0L I4 Turbo gasoline engine (the M260). From what I can tell, the GLB is essentially a more refined but engine/transmission wise same as a GLA/A-Class.

I assume Tonicart has the M260 2.0L I referenced above. According to wikipedia, the GLB can also have a 1.3L turbo or 2L diesel, none of which i have seen.

Regarding the oil, 229.71 is a 0w-20 spec. I would either recommend buying "genuine" Mercedes-Benz 0W-20 from the local dealership or 0W-20 Mobil 1 ESP (haven't seen in stores) or 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy (at local part store/walmart), I personally would recommend the ESP over the AFE, unless you cannot find anywhere to buy the ESP. Another good option would be Valvoline MST 0W-20.

As for an oil filter, the best would probably just be purchasing one from the dealer. I cannot tell the OEM from looking at them but I'm sure it's probably either Hengst or Mann+Hummel.

I do not recommend buying cheap oil & filters for any mercedes-benz vehicle. Most synthetic oils are perfectly fine for 10k miles and so are filters, but for optimal life and performance of the engine, I would recommend using products that mercedes endorses as meeting the spec or says Starparts or Mercedes-Benz on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20 is not available on Walmart's website.

IIRC I saw it in NAPA. You're right you won't see in Walmart or on their website.

Thanks for all the replies! I could not find the exact motul oil on Amazon. I think it has to be the 8100 eco clean. I'll get the supplies from the dealer until they become more widely available. I also started looking at the GLA parts, but haven't had the urge to climb under the car to confirm they are the same.

I do have the 2.0L turbo M260 engine.

The manual does reference some other mb specs, but recommends the 229.71 for best efficiency and maintenance of the "emissions controls system". I've also read that there is a particulate filter, but have no idea what that is. Maybe an additional filter that needs replacing? I'm used to just replacing a single oil filter.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! I could not find the exact motul oil on Amazon. I think it has to be the 8100 eco clean. I'll get the supplies from the dealer until they become more widely available. I also started looking at the GLA parts, but haven't had the urge to climb under the car to confirm they are the same.

I do have the 2.0L turbo M260 engine.

The manual does reference some other mb specs, but recommends the 229.71 for best efficiency and maintenance of the "emissions controls system". I've also read that there is a particulate filter, but have no idea what that is. Maybe an additional filter that needs replacing? I'm used to just replacing a single oil filter.

^ THIS!!!
It probably recommends MB229.51 and MB229.52. It is readily available in Wal Mart: Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 (MB229.51). You can order Mobil1 ESP 5W30 that meets MB 229.51 online or numerous other oils. Mobil1 ESP 0W30 X1 meets MB229.52. If manual states MB229.51 or .52, forget MB229.71.
Maintenance of emission system (GPF) depends on SAPS in oil There is nothing magical about 0W20 grade. However, 0W20 allows MB to achieve better CAFE results. That is it. Only reason why MB wants you to use 0W20 is mpg results and certification by EPA. Personally, I would not touch MB229.71 with 10 foot pole if MB229.51 or .52 is allowed.

Last edited:
.. but this is the first time I've purchased a luxury car. ...

Make sure you keep an abundant supply of Vasoline on hand. You are going to need it.

It really doesn't matter...It will become an intolerable money pit far before any engine failure can occur
smile.gif

Stick with MB Genuine and OEM filter.

I recall the transverse MB 4 bangers were made in Tn.

Isn't this a Nissan/Infinity engine?

What does the Mike Monroney readout for CoO?

Last edited:
Just stick with OE oil for now until more oils come out that meet the spec. You dont want to have issues and have them question the oil quality used.

Originally Posted by Audios
Just stick with OE oil for now until more oils come out that meet the spec. You dont want to have issues and have them question the oil quality used.

If manual states MB229.51 or .52, he will not have warranty issue.

^bingo

- let me guess......

mb rec

There you go.
OP, forget MB229.71. Go with MB229.51 or .52. It is better stuff, heavier but not too heavy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back