Oil change on 2001 civic with some engine noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

It's time for me to change the oil on my 2001 honda civic (5 speed, 4 cylinder, 220k miles, calls for 5w20) that has had a slight knock on cylinder 3 for about 5000 miles. Last oil change was 5w20 castrol gtx high milage, a bottle of lucas, and a purolator pureone filter. Running on that, the knock hasn't gotten any worse, but the engine has developed a metallic rattling sound on idle.

I'm not very optimistic that my engine will last much longer, but am wondering what you guys would put in to make it last as long as possible. I was considering just bumping up to a 10w40 oil and skipping the lucas, but have heard a lot of conflicting advice.

I'd really appreciate some input,

thank you

Knocking noise at idle ?

Maybe you have a bad input shaft bearing in transmission. Are you sure the noise is from a cylinder ?
I would use 10w30 HDEO in that engine.

Hi,

Nope, it knocks at about 1.5k rpm during acceleration. Sorry for any confusion. The knocking noise is coming from cylinder three, I took a mechanics stethoscope to it and pulled the plug cap to confirm.

The metallic rattling noise occurs most at idle, however. It sounds to be coming from the cylinder 3 area as well, but I'm not positive yet.

Interestingly, I do have a bad input shaft bearing as well though. It goes away when I push the clutch in and has made the noise since 192k miles.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no. I had trouble getting the exhaust bolts off since they were rusted together, and even had a hard time with the oil pan bolts. I had to go away for school in a few days and accepted that I didn't have the time or skill to get the job done. I decided to just run it till it died =/

I don't think an oil is going to help much. I'd skip the Lucas though and run a 0w40 or 5w40. Maybe some Rotella T6 5w40.

Put 10W-40 Maxlife in it and decent filter with a good anti-drain-back-valve (not the cheapest filter you can find). Fram TG might do it ...

Just keep it topped up and run it 'till you can get the rod bearings changed, or until it dies... Although, there ought to be about a bazillion decent used motors out there...

Is the car a rust bucket?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: llmercll
I was considering just bumping up to a 10w40 oil and skipping the lucas,

That would be a good idea yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back