Oil change observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always notice a slight performance improvement when putting new oil into the engine. Every after 7-10k miles, new oil seems to make the engine slightly more responsive. Anyone else notice this? Maybe it's psychological? I might calculate my mpg over the course of 10k miles and see if any changes occur. I think that would be a good indicator to go by.

Placebo effect.

Now if you wait long enough to do your change until it really starts tearing up the engine, then your sensation of loss of power along with other obvious indicators (smoke, higher temps, etc.) would be definite reality!

15.gif

I always noticed a difference in a Ford Bronco 2 i had when i changed the oil. I was using pennsoil at the time.

Quick lubes always use this argument in an attempt to convince people to change their oil every 3k.

If it's psychological, then why do they say dirty oil reduces your gas mileage by 1%? Changing it must do something.

John

I think if the oil thickens enough and insolubles are high, it can impact performance that would be noticeable.

Friction modifiers also lose their effectiveness over time/miles. That can be as soon as in the 5000 to 7500 mile range according to one study.

Originally Posted By: John_K
If it's psychological, then why do they say dirty oil reduces your gas mileage by 1%? Changing it must do something.

John

Link please for whoever says that.
smirk2.gif

I have NEVER heard that one. If anything until the oil is so used up and dirty to thicken, MPG will get better with some use on the oil. (we are talking in the tenths of a MPG)

I've never had an improvement when changing oil (performance, MPG and such)

I have HEARD a difference between brands in some engines.

Take care, Bill

I just did an oil change in my car and I definately felt a difference in engine response. It also sounded better in a smoother way. There was less steering wheel vibration that i noticed immediately after the oil change.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Friction modifiers also lose their effectiveness over time/miles. That can be as soon as in the 5000 to 7500 mile range according to one study.

I believe it. The only doubt I have is due to the fact that gas quality can vary, even from the same station. Over the course of 10,000 miles though you should be able to notice.

I wonder if oils like Redline that use POE base oils, which have less friction than PAO's, will maintain low friction longer? Redline claimed this was true years ago against the old Series 2000 Amsoil

I too, always notcie my engine is happy, when i put fresh new oil in. Engine SI in fact, more responsive, wants to go!

deven,

Are you sure that was an oil change you performed as opposed to a tire rotation and balance?

i notice light performance improvement every time i put in something new. PCV, oil, tranny oil, air filters, sparks but they all go away after a few days =(

Last edited:
I can't say that I've ever noticed a difference when changing oil but staying with the exact same brand/viscosity, but I do notice a difference from changing to a different brand.

For instance, my wife's Civic's engine seems more responsive when running GTX 5w20. Whether or not it really DOES perform better doesn't matter, the fact that I THINK I feel a difference is good enough for me.

Quote:
I always notice a slight performance improvement when putting new oil into the engine. Anyone else notice this?

I've noticed that too, and I don't believe it's psychological or a placebo effect. But, I can't prove it is real scientifically either. It is nothing more than an observation. The Synthetic Oil Life Study from several years ago, was the closest I've ever read that provided some evidence of this. After 18K on Mobil 1, they reported "Meanwhile, despite all these paper improvements, the engine still had higher oil pressure and wasn't running as smoothly as normal, so clearly not all was perfect with the oil." Granted, this is a very extreme example, but I don't doubt people can observe a milder variation in shorter mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back