oil change mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised no one has come up with an "extreme category" because that would be both "severe" and "cool" at the same time.

Originally Posted by T-Stick
I'm surprised no one has come up with an "extreme category" because that would be both "severe" and "cool" at the same time.

Now that's some smart marketing
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by addyguy
On Hyundai/Kia GDI engines, 3750 mile OCI's aren't overkill, this engine needs it.

What he said ^

I agree. For my son I kept the math simple, 4K OCIs. I'm as certain as I can possibly be w/o a UOA that Mobil 1 EP 5W30 can handle it for the way he's driving his 2018 Accent. And 4K should give some room should he need to extend the OCI a bit. Maybe next time we service it I'll do a UOA, in the mean time we'll play it safe.

*I run the same routine in my 2017 Sonata : 4K OCI's with D1 / Gen 2 synthetic oils .

Your weather conditions are not a major factor in the service schedule. The way you drive the car is the #1 factor. For example, sure it's more harsh to start an engine at -20F than to start it at 60F. But it is far better to drive 200 highway miles at -20F than to drive only 10 miles during 6 short trips at 60F. Just an example.

I have a 2013 santa fe with the 3.3L GDI. In Canada for our warranty to be valid we have to adhere to the 6000kms (3728mi) / 6 month interval. In the past 3 OCI's I've since switched to Motul xclean EFE 5W-30 which is an ACEA C2/C3 Dexose2 compliant 100% synthetic oil (I'm trying to find more information on this oil but it's proving difficult). It does seem to blacken the oil very quickly, but I wouldn't particularly say it smelled of gasoline, and the level never rises or drops indicating heavy fuel dilution or burn off.

My wife drives the car approx 6 miles twice a day to and from work and maybe a little bit of running around. We noticed when we'd go out on the weekend on the highway and I put my foot into it, it would PLUME smoke out the back and then clear up. Having said that I've also started to educate myself more with the GDI engines and we've decided with winter on its way, I would start commuting with the car approx 110kms (68mi) round trip because I feel it would be better for the car. It needs to have the C@&p beaten out of it quite frequently.

I am working currently on extending my OCI'S out to 10k kms (6200 MI) 6 months for ease of changing it at round numbers. I will be doing UOAs to monitor and see how it goes. I'll be sure to post up the results when I get them.

It appears to me that there is nowhere in the world where you would achieve the conditions to meet this "Normal" maintenance schedule. Seems like a money grab.

Aside from anecdotal "feely" evidence, Has anyone actually done UOAs on any of the kia/Hyundai GDI engines using a top tier synthetic oil to see how it's actually standing up past "Severe schedule" 3000 mile intervals?

My manual calls for a 5000 mile OCI with a conventional.

I've gone back and forth between 5k and 10k OCI with synthetic for the last 130k Miles. Because I also lube the u-joints every 5k I've leaned towards just changing the oil at 5k as well. It's inexpensive and if I'm crawling underneath with a grease gun I might as well take the 15 minutes to change the oil too.

Yes they do. Plus we run Euro2 fuel standard which is outdated, at 95 octane. Oil used in local Hyundai dealer is Castrol Edge, whilst the Kia outlet on the same premises uses Total 5w30 full synthetic.

Originally Posted by marine65
I have my local Hyundai dealer do my oil changes.
The owner's manual says 7500 miles or 3750 miles for severe service.
I was there a couple days ago and asked why they use the 3750 schedule.
The service guy said we in Colorado are considered a severe service state because we have all four seasons.
He said they use a semi syn oil.
I told him that I thought a semi syn would do just fine for 7500 miles and thats the schedule I'm doing.
He did not argue.
Is the we are a severe state just a revenue builder?

What a crock!

We use the Severe Svc schedule with the 2.0T Santa Fe because my wife actually does drive during rush hour and it takes her 45min to drive 10 miles.
The Sportage 2.4 goes between 3K and 5K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back